XP PRO on simple network

Thread: XP PRO on simple network

Question XP PRO on simple network

Put XP pro system in a network that has 5 workstations connected to a hub and when the WindowsXP machine logs in, it can see all the network connections just fine but the other Windows98 machines show nobody on the network. The WindowsXP machine can browse the Win98 machines just fine. When I shutdown the WinXP machine , the Win98 machines can see each other just fine. I then changed the workgroup name on the WinXP machine to Workgroup2 and the Win98 machines can see the Workgroup and access those computers fine, but when they browse the Workgroup2, they cannot access the XP machine and I have printer and Harddrive shared. The XP machine can browse both workgroups just fine. Any ideas? or will a XP Pro machine not work on a simple network?

You can do one of two things depending on how much security you want. First if security isn't that big a deal you can enable the guest account on the XP machine and your 98's should be able to connect. Secondly if step one doesn't work or you want more security you can create a user in the Users applet in the control panel of XP for each of the 98 systems (i.e. system one has a login name of doej you would create an account with this login and password, etc) After you do that make sure you give permissions to each of the users to access your drive(s) and printer(s). Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I did enable the Guest account and I also created a user of the name of one of the 98 machines (ie Alan) on the XP machine and still nothing but thanks for the input, I'll keep trying

[quote] or will a XP Pro machine not work on a simple network? <hr></blockquote>

This says it does
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q306856&GSSNB=1#10" target="_blank">Release Notes for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Setup (Q306856)</a>

You only want one workgroup.

Is xp using what your 98 peers are? by way of protocol and services. 98 setup not using netbui?

Security is not a big deal, The Win98 PC's are TCP/IP and the hub is connected to a linksys cable/dsl router so they can all get on the net, the workgroup is named RES and yes the XP machines workgroup is RES. When the XP machine is on that workgroup, all the Win98 PC's cannot access each other and don't even see anything when going to Network Neighborhood, but if the XP PC is shutdown, boom all the Win98 PC's can see each other in the Network Neighbor Hood and share files among them but once the WinXP PC boots up on that Workgroup, all the 98 PC's can no longer share printers and files etc.. but if I make the XP PC on a workgroup of RES2 then the 98 PC's can once again share and they see the RES2 workgroup but cannot access it although I have enabled sharing and added accounts for the users.

Just for grins you might put that XP system on the RES2 name and change one of the W98 boxes to RES2 to see what happens....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I had this same problem with my machines... 2 were running 98SE and the other two were XP Pro. All the machines could see eachother, but the XP machines could only access the XP machines and the 98SE machines couldn't access anything.

I fixed it by running the XP wizard on the XP machines and at the end of the wizard it gives you the option to make a floppy with that wizard on it. I did so, and ran the wizard on the 98 machines. After completion of the process, all was well on my network. I don't know if you've tried that yet or not, but hopefully this helps a little.

DW
    My "pet" system:
    Athlon XP1500 Epox EP-8K7A, 256MB DDR, 40GB WD 7200 ATA100, 20GB HDD mounted in a removable bay, ATI All-in-wonder 128Pro 32MB AGP, HP 10-4-32CDRW, 48x CDROM (cheapo, but works better than a hi-val heh), AVS500 Speakers, Zip100, Modded full tower