Originally posted by johnydmonic:
My cd-rom drive has been acting weird lately. The problem started a week ago when I was playing a cd required game. After an hour of playing or so, the game suddenly stops and exits. Now, my cd drive seems to be reading the drive even without a disk inside.

Even at bootup, it seems that the cd drive is busy (my bootup process starts at the cd drive). It will show the windows logo, then after the virus checking (bootup checking) the cd drive will become busy (busy light flashing). It will not continue unless I opened the cd drive.

The cd drive keeps checking itself (busy) if something is in it for 3 times and then the cd tray will come out. If I close the cd tray, the process will repeat, gets busy again for 3 times then pops out again. I've never had a problem before. Ive change the bootup process so that it will check the hard disk first, so that it will not check the cd drive first.

It just happened twice this day, one about 7 hours ago, and the other when I turned on my computer today. Just run a routine virusscan, none detected. There are no device drivers needed for the cd drive to load, and there are no conflicting devices in my computer.

I can't pinpoint yet what the problem is. My computer stats are as follows: PIII667, 128MB RAM, Creative Infra 52X CD drive, W98 SE. If someone knows what the problem and the fix, please let me know. Thanks in advance
I don't know if this has happened to you, and I don't know if any of your freinds have access to your computer while your not around. But there are prank programs out there to be had for just what your CD-ROM is doing. I know for I have downloaded and installed this prank on one of my freinds computers at work. He's been plagued by this prank now for two weeks. The un-install for this prank is on the diskette the program is on. There are also programs you can download that will make the diskette drive go crazy every eight hours of operating the system. You can set these programs to do these little annoyances as often as you like for as long as you like. I'm going to cure my freinds problem on Monday just to make it seem as if I fixed his dilema.

edited by Sowulo for warez references