My cd-rom drive has been acting weird lately. The problem started a week ago when I was playing a cd required game. After an hour of playing or so, the game suddenly stops and exits. Now, my cd drive seems to be reading the drive even without a disk inside.

Even at bootup, it seems that the cd drive is busy (my bootup process starts at the cd drive). It will show the windows logo, then after the virus checking (bootup checking) the cd drive will become busy (busy light flashing). It will not continue unless I opened the cd drive.

The cd drive keeps checking itself (busy) if something is in it for 3 times and then the cd tray will come out. If I close the cd tray, the process will repeat, gets busy again for 3 times then pops out again. I've never had a problem before. Ive change the bootup process so that it will check the hard disk first, so that it will not check the cd drive first.

It just happened twice this day, one about 7 hours ago, and the other when I turned on my computer today. Just run a routine virusscan, none detected. There are no device drivers needed for the cd drive to load, and there are no conflicting devices in my computer.

I can't pinpoint yet what the problem is. My computer stats are as follows: PIII667, 128MB RAM, Creative Infra 52X CD drive, W98 SE. If someone knows what the problem and the fix, please let me know. Thanks in advance