New DVDs wont read

Thread: New DVDs wont read

New DVDs wont read

I have a Samsung DVD writer that appears to function fine, writes DVDs and CDs no problem. I'm in the process of backing up a lot of .avi files that are filling up my hard disk. The problem is that the new DVDs work fine for a day or so then cant read. I get some "cyclic redundancy check" error and it wont read or copy the files, even though it reads the disc and displays the contents in explorer.

Anyone else had this? Is the burner bad or the DVDs? They're Princo 1-4X 4.7GB DVD-Rs.

You may have a bad batch of disks (Princo is not a great brand), or the drive may not match that brand very well, have you used them successfully before?

I'd suggest trying a quality brand, and see if you still get the same problem.

bad burner?

Just as a follow up, I've tried Sony and TDK DVD-Rs and am having similar problems. The burn process (tried Nero and Roxio) goes fine and the disc reads okay to start with.

However if I try it a couple of weeks later on a different drive it can't read the disc, tells me its corrupt. I store the discs carefully in boxes so they're not scratched or anything. I've already lost a significant amount of data to these rogue DVD's

If they do read its only ever on the drive that created them.

Here's a pretty good Media Quality Guide. I've had great luck with Taiyo Uden media, definitely worth the extra cost (actually, not extra cost when you factor in the number of coasters created with low end media).
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU