CD Rom drive acting weird
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD Rom drive acting weird

Question CD Rom drive acting weird

My cd-rom drive has been acting weird lately. The problem started a week ago when I was playing a cd required game. After an hour of playing or so, the game suddenly stops and exits. Now, my cd drive seems to be reading the drive even without a disk inside.

Even at bootup, it seems that the cd drive is busy (my bootup process starts at the cd drive). It will show the windows logo, then after the virus checking (bootup checking) the cd drive will become busy (busy light flashing). It will not continue unless I opened the cd drive.

The cd drive keeps checking itself (busy) if something is in it for 3 times and then the cd tray will come out. If I close the cd tray, the process will repeat, gets busy again for 3 times then pops out again. I've never had a problem before. Ive change the bootup process so that it will check the hard disk first, so that it will not check the cd drive first.

It just happened twice this day, one about 7 hours ago, and the other when I turned on my computer today. Just run a routine virusscan, none detected. There are no device drivers needed for the cd drive to load, and there are no conflicting devices in my computer.

I can't pinpoint yet what the problem is. My computer stats are as follows: PIII667, 128MB RAM, Creative Infra 52X CD drive, W98 SE. If someone knows what the problem and the fix, please let me know. Thanks in advance
    Yeah right. whatever. duh.

Creative Drives are known to have serious problems supporting UDMA and DMA modes.

try to switch your CD-ROM to PIO mode, this is done in the BIOS.

also make sure your using 40-pin IDE cables (old ones)

if applicable put your drive as secondary master.

CD is gone. Finito.
    ...or becouse of Creative just knock the back side when happened.

Question

CD-rom drive already set to PIO mode. Using a 40 pin IDE cable and UDMA is disabled. A funny thing though, after I restarted and check in the BIOS, it happened again, while I was inside the BIOS. I think that the CD rom drive itself is the fault.

One more thing, before, when I grab music from CD's (using audio grabbing software), there are at least a few speed errors. But now, with the same CD, it reaches up to 200 possible speed errors. I don't know if it's connected though.

Sounds like a failing/failed drive. One thought though...try a different IDE cable, and then a different drive before tossing that old one.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Checked the cable. It uses a UDMA-66 cable provided with the motherboard since it is slaved to the hard disk.

Replace the drive. It's toast.
    It's good to be the King.

Originally posted by johnydmonic:
    Checked the cable. It uses a UDMA-66 cable provided with the motherboard since it is slaved to the hard disk.
    You've contradicted yourself in your last two posts. Make sure the CDROM is attached to the Secondary controller with a 40-pin cable--not slaved to the hard drive with the 80-pin cable.

Question

Sorry, I admit I was wrong on the cable.

Ok, I've changed the cables and set the CD drive to secondary master. So far, so good.

One more thing, it doesn't happen always. It's as if, today it can happen, tomorrow it might not. But yesterday, I end up having the CD tray open while I was in the computer!

Sorry, I admit I was wrong on the cable.

Ok, I've changed the cables and set the CD drive to secondary master. So far, so good.

One more thing, it doesn't happen always. It's as if, today it can happen, tomorrow it might not. But yesterday, I end up having the CD tray open while I was in the computer!
    You mean stuck--won't close? Or keeps openning on its own?

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

My cd-rom drive has been acting weird lately. The problem started a week ago when I was playing a cd required game. After an hour of playing or so, the game suddenly stops and exits. Now, my cd drive seems to be reading the drive even without a disk inside.

Even at bootup, it seems that the cd drive is busy (my bootup process starts at the cd drive). It will show the windows logo, then after the virus checking (bootup checking) the cd drive will become busy (busy light flashing). It will not continue unless I opened the cd drive.

The cd drive keeps checking itself (busy) if something is in it for 3 times and then the cd tray will come out. If I close the cd tray, the process will repeat, gets busy again for 3 times then pops out again. I've never had a problem before. Ive change the bootup process so that it will check the hard disk first, so that it will not check the cd drive first.

It just happened twice this day, one about 7 hours ago, and the other when I turned on my computer today. Just run a routine virusscan, none detected. There are no device drivers needed for the cd drive to load, and there are no conflicting devices in my computer.

I can't pinpoint yet what the problem is. My computer stats are as follows: PIII667, 128MB RAM, Creative Infra 52X CD drive, W98 SE. If someone knows what the problem and the fix, please let me know. Thanks in advance
    I don't know if this has happened to you, and I don't know if any of your freinds have access to your computer while your not around. But there are prank programs out there to be had for just what your CD-ROM is doing. I know for I have downloaded and installed this prank on one of my freinds computers at work. He's been plagued by this prank now for two weeks. The un-install for this prank is on the diskette the program is on. There are also programs you can download that will make the diskette drive go crazy every eight hours of operating the system. You can set these programs to do these little annoyances as often as you like for as long as you like. I'm going to cure my freinds problem on Monday just to make it seem as if I fixed his dilema.

edited by Sowulo for warez references
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

It took me a while to gain access to the net. But I will say what had become of my drive.

In answer to Sowulo's question, yes, the drive keeps opening on its own. And last Friday, it happen the whole day . And for the next few days (til Sunday) it didn't stop. I end up using the computer with the cd tray open at all times. And it can't read any more cds. (i disconnected the cd drive after that).

In reply to 3Dprophet II, no there isn't anyone here in our house (nor any of my friends) that have access to my computer.

But, its not the cables or the connections or any programs that caused the problem. I experimented it with myself and found that: the drive still gets busy even the cd drive is disabled at the bios (or set that there will be no cd drive at the bios), and that the drive STILL gets busy even if you DISCONNECTED any cable (IDE cable) from it except for the power cable.

But at least, the drive is still under warranty and I returned it. I think that the cd drive's toast and needs to be replaced anyway (its 8 months old). Thanks for all those who have helped!

point of interest. Whenever anyone has these problems, I ask is it creative, and they say 'yes!'
    My old infra18x would never stay out. Sucks when it jammed a cd or a finger!
    I'm just a little mushroom. always kept in the dark...

Well, on the brighter side, if the tray stays open you won't have to worry about it closing accidently and dumping your coffee. LOL

I think you're right. The drive was toast.

buzzed

Another point of interest, you'd be amazed at what a dirt inside a CD-ROM will do, often a disc detection circuit, if this curcuit is fooled into thinking that a disc is loaded your problem could be a possible outcome.
    Advice...!!!...Make sure CD's are dust free before inserting into a drice...!!!!