CD Rom drive acting weird - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CD Rom drive acting weird

Rica

Talking

I posted a similar question regarding this issue. and some thank to the guys here, some that offered me advice, i came to the conclusion that my cdroms were toasted. what i did is contacted the company and had them exhchanged. This happend where at work and they are replacing all 9 of them. but I wish i can find out what is exactly wrong w/ these drive. my sys is micron client pro PII400. i dont think that has to do w/ anything. Its the drive that is bad and has to be replaced, which i did. I agree w/ buzzed, that the dust might be a factor. I currently testing this along w/ some other electronic test. You say you sent it back and you are smart to do that saving yourself a lot of stress.

Rica

I posted a similar question regarding this issue. and some thank to the guys here, some that offered me advice, i came to the conclusion that my cdroms were toasted. what i did is contacted the company and had them exhchanged. This happend where at work and they are replacing all 9 of them. but I wish i can find out what is exactly wrong w/ these drive. my sys is micron client pro PII400. i dont think that has to do w/ anything. Its the drive that is bad and has to be replaced, which i did. I agree w/ buzzed, that the dust might be a factor. I currently testing this along w/ some other electronic test. You say you sent it back and you are smart to do that saving yourself a lot of stress.

same problem with cd-rom drive

ok people, i am having this problem since yday every single time i boot up. i have an infra 52x creative cd-rom drive OS is win98 SE. all of a sudden my cd-rom tray ejected on boot up...then closed after some time , tried to access the drive, the led blinked for a while and then the tray opened again and stayed open.this was the problem.

now the troubleshooting steps i have taken so far. i started by checking device manager cd-rom properties. the cd-rom drive shows no error, it recognises the cd-drive. however, when i checked the driver details of the cd-rom, i saw tht there was no driver file details button (it was greyed out - not active button) and i got a message in tht window saying "No driver files required or have been loaded for this device.To update the drivers, click on Update Driver". i checked and saw tht the drivers said something about Microsoft drivers dated year 1999. next i went to webiste of Creative and found only DOS drivers available for download (I figured tht since the system is detecting my cd-rom I wouldn't need the DOS drivers. so i skipped downloading them). next i removed the cd-rom from device manager and rebooted. again the system automatically detected my drive but the problem persisted.

ok, so following the discussion so far in this thread i haven't tried checking BIOS settings cos I don't know how the BIOS co-relates to my cd-rom device.also i am a little apprehensive to mess around with the hardware but as far as i remember there's a seperate data cable connecting to the cd-rom and it is recognised as Secondary Master.

wt exactly are the steps i need to take next to troubleshoot my cd-rom device before concluding tht my cd-rom is toast. also, i am a little surprised as to how a perfectly running cd-rom device can suddenly on one certain boot up go bad on its own. because as far as i know there were no power surges, no collision, no physical damage to drive and the cd-rom not touched at all. i refuse to believe tht a cd-rom drive can go bad this way ! today i will try reseating the cables and i hope tht works. if not, i would be glad for any help i can get on resolving this issue. please feel free to suggest advanced troubleshooting measures eg. BIOS settings.

thanks a lot in advance for any help. also i noticed tht this thread is 3 yrs old !!! i hope i am not pissing u ppl off by reviving the thread after such a long gap. thanks again.
    Last edited by LoverboyRulz; April 29th, 2004 at 01:34 AM.

So the 'defacto' test for a cd 'working/not' is to access it outwith windoze as once you get in there any bloomin' thing can be causing it !

& the simple way to do this is to find yourself a bootable cd disk (your windows system/install cd is perfect for this), set bios to boot from CD (usually there's an option for boot order on either the first or second pages of bios -each machine has different ways of access to this, but most commonly either press 'del' or 'f1' like 'a maniac' when it goes beep (posts) & everything should go 'very blue' -welcome to bios ..)

If it can read a cd here but not in windows then its software (windoze) misbehaving - if it won't read at all then 'busted' ..

Alternatively if you can't access bios (maybe password protected or some other key to press we don't know about) - you can go to www.bootdisk.com & get yourself a boot floppy with DOS cd rom support (which you do NOT need in windows - 98 doesn't need any cd drivers ) - try booting from that & then type 'dir [your cd drive letter]' & see if it lists any data disk put in ..

Try either of those tests to establish whether its a hardware 'broken' or s/w issue

I Help my Cd Went Bye Bye and now i can not find it help me please