[RESOLVED] Athlon locks up in programs with sound

Thread: [RESOLVED] Athlon locks up in programs with sound

azriel

Exclamation Athlon locks up in programs with sound

I have an Athlon 600 on a GA-I7X motherboard, 256 meg mem, 52x true speed cd, voodoo 3 3000, mmx 300 sound card, zoltex modem, pci lan card, problem is whenever i play a game with sound it will lock up, if its demanding sound ie freespace 2 with arual 3d on, it locks up in about 2 minutes, if i lower the sound level it takes longer, ie i can play heretic 2 for about 3 hours on low sound quality before it freezes, i have no conflicts, went out purchased 2 diffrent sound cards, made no difference, if i alter the memory setting in the bios i can have my computer last longer before freezing but it will still freeze, i can play the cd using cd player all night however and the computer will not freeze, if im not using sound, ie web browsing/downloading the computer will not freeze, i am all out of ideas please help

Wags

I am having the same problem with my system, I have V3 3000,71X, Athlon 750. Locks up or reboots.

I talk to 3Dfx and they had no clue, they said it might be the VOLTage Regulater on the board. Not putting out a enough volts to AGP port(3.3volts). I wrote Giga-byte, but no reply yet.

I did see that my Soundcard is on the same IRQ as my Video, but it won't let change it threw Windows, and I can't in the Bios..

Plus I heard that some poeple can't get their Athlon boards to unless there in AGPx1 mode. I don't know what board.. I can't change my from X2 to 1x there is no setting in the BIOS..

Help Anyone..

Wags

Wags

Hay azriel, have you had any problems with the USB on your system?

azriel

i have a tiny problem with usb, i am using my intel explorer mouse as usb instead of ps2, and every once in a while it will not pick up,

Wags

Yea same here, it's does it when I restart intead of shutdown. So I hook up a PS/2 mouse also Have you been able to change the IRQ of your V3 to see if that would help? I can't figue out how to change my yet. won't let me do it in windows, or bios. My sound card SB LIVE! is on the same IRQ and I can't change that also. I think I am going to have to buy another video card and try it

azriel

im not sure if its the video card yet, reason for this is the computer crashes/freezes during games, OR if i run winamp and play mp3s for over an hour, but i can play the cd player all day along with cruise the web, sooo i still think its memory/irq, but if any of you gets a new graphic card and it works let me know, thinking that it might be the motherboard, any of you know anyway to test a motherboard? any of you here of a specific memory speed athlons need? i have 8 nan memory,

Wags

I think I got my fix. I lower some of the memory timming down a bit And I have not had any problems in the last few hours.. OH happy day

Wags

Lightbulb

OK you two I think I know how to get you sound cards to stop using the same IRQ as your display adapter
    Just move them form one PCI slot to another. I moved mine from slot 4 to slot 2 and I got it to run on IRQ 5 where it should be and my Network adapter shares the IRQ wih my display adapter ( IRQ 10 )
    I have a Giga-byte GA-5AX super 7 board and it appears the IRQd for your PCI are determined by the slot position
    I am also running a CL 3-d blaster riva tnt 2 chipset AGP and it workes good
    Give it a shot and maybe your lockups will stop happening , I hate it when a game locks up

------------------
    Format c:
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )