Documents and Settings folder

Thread: Documents and Settings folder

Post Documents and Settings folder

I have re-installed XP a few times and each time it makes new folders in the Documents and Settings folder that already exist but adds ".000", ".001", ".003" each time I re-install. So now I have a ton of useless folders, how can I clean all this and keep only the active ones safely?

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

User profiles are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\. There are special folders called Administrator, All Users and Default User which must NOT be deleted as they contain the builtin Administrator account's profile, a shared profile for program shortcuts for Program menu and a Default user profile used to create new accounts. Profiles can be deleted via the System Control Panel, select the Advanced tab and then User Profiles. You can copy or delete profiles here.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I know where to delete the profiles but since I formatted only the profile folders are there and windows doesn't know so I only see my profile in the user accounts, how can I delete the old ones?

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Take a look <a href="http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/368/14/1.html#1" target="_blank">at this web page</a>

having checked in the registry which ones are the current folders, you can delete the rest
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

go to system properties, advanced, userprofiles. IT will show all profiles on the computer, wether they have a valide user or not. It will give you the option of deleting them there also.

hope it helps
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

No it only shows my current profile. I dont think you understand...

I had XP, then deleted the windows folder in dos and re-installed XP, it had to make new folders with the same name but that en in ".000" each time i did this so i have like 3-4 of each folder.

I think I know what you are getting at, multiple installs have generated multiple folders, Like Win98 does when you don't reinstall into the same windows folder i.e. WINDOWS.000 WINDOWS.001 etc. If all folders are identical except for the .00X I would say to keep the most recent and delete the rest. But do some checking first to make sure there aren't any changes between them.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

If you copy each one to another place on the drive the one that is active will give an error message. The same will happen if you try to delete the active folder. Once you've identified the active folder you can delete the rest.

Or, go into your user profile and open the properties for that profile. You can then enter the profile path to any place on your system and then delete the one's that aren't the one you specified.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."