Windows XP Pro install problem

Thread: Windows XP Pro install problem

Post Windows XP Pro install problem

This problem does not seem as complex as some others but im stuck. Every time i go to install windows xp pro, from DOS, it gets to the starting windows screen and stops. I have installed the contents of the xp cd on my hard drive in hopes that would help. Then i searched MS web site to find that my problem might be with my hard drive. I have a maxtor 53073H4. Now i dont know what to do, because i cant seem to find the txtsetup.oem file it is asking for, and when i went to maxtor web site the said they do not offer drivers for their hard drives. Then i went back to MS to see if my hard drive can work with xp but it does not.

I have formatted the drive using a windows 98 setup disk and then tried the install again, but no luck.

I need any help i can get. Also i am sorry in advance if i have posted in he wrong spot but any help would be great help.

well from what your telling us, your hard drive is not compatible with XP and you can't install Win98 on it. It sounds like it may have some bad sectors. have you tried another hard drive and load XP or Win98. That may solve your problem. or you can go to <a href="http://maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm" target="_blank">http://maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm</a>
    and download Powermax to test your maxtor drive
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Hmmm sorry i wasnt so clear before. I have two hard drives. On my c drive i have windows 98 and i am using that untill i can get xp on my other hard drive. Now i have had 98 install on both some time or another so i know it is not haveing to do with bad sectors. I have tried installing xp on both my hard drive and it stops at the same point on both drives. But there is now way im formatting my c dirve unitll i get my other drive to work with xp.

my c dirve is a Maxtor 96147H6

thanks for your help though

You might try making and using the Windows XP boot disk set relavent to your XP type.Sorry c`ant access MS for the link at this time for you as it appears to be down DOH!

Try this: Make the drive that you want to install windows xp on the master on the primary ide channel. Disconnect the win98 drive (just for test purposes). Try to install XP to the drive that is installed.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert