Win XP machine can't access Win95 resources

Thread: Win XP machine can't access Win95 resources

Post Win XP machine can't access Win95 resources

Hmmmmm....
    This one has me stumped, looking for suggestions. This office has a rather small Windows LAN. WinNT 4.0 PDC also acts as file and print server. There is a Windows 95 machine which shares a folder but more importantly shares a printer.
    Recently (well I'll say 2 months ago) a WinXP pro desktop was purchased. All has been running.
    Protocol being used is TCP/IP. The Winnt server is also DHCP server, WINS server, DNS server but I don't think this is where the problem is.

Now all of the sudden the WinXP desktop cannot print to the Windows 95 machine or access the folders. If I try to browse the network I can see other desktops (even other Windows 95 machines sharing resources) and I have no problem accessing these machines. However in browsing the network this Windows95 print server in question is not there. If I try to print it states there is a network error.
    WE have a mapped drive the Win95printer machine to share a folder. I can see the drive in My computer on the Windows xp machine but when I click on it I get "An error occured while reconnecting to R: \\Win95printermachine\folder MS Windows Network: Local device already in use, connection was not restored"
    If I goto printers folder the status is "Printer not found on server, unable to connect"

At the WinXP machine I can ping the IP address of Win95printer machine.

I don't see anything that really relates in event viewer other than when I initially tried to print to the printer via a captured printer port (used in terminal server) but since I can't connect via a network connection obviously I won't be able to print to the captured printer setup.

WEll I sit down at a Windows 2000 machine and have no problems printing to the Windows 95 machine nor do I have any problems accessing shared drives on the very same Windows 95 machine in question. The same holds true on a Windows 95 machine, I can browse to the Winprinter machine in question with no problem.

It seems it has to be that Windows XP machine since it is the only one that is exhibiting these symptoms.
    Any ideas on what is happening? Very much appreciated.

Have a Good Day!
    "Good music makes you want to dance and kiss your girlfriend. Great music makes you want to riot and kill...."- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine

Could it be that you need NetBEUI support loaded on the XP machine? MS has officially discontinued the use of NetBEUI in Windows XP, but you can still use it if you want:

<a href="http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/winxpnet.htm#netbeui" target="_blank">http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/winxpnet.htm#netbeui</a>

Thanks for the response. I initially was thinking the same thing since they used to use both but no, I removed NETBEUI from there network a while back (get rid of some of the traffic and not really necessary for them). I will recheck machine is question, never know if it installed on that machine it may cause a problem right? and even though it shouldn't be there Gremlins sometimes change things .

Thanks again.
    "Good music makes you want to dance and kiss your girlfriend. Great music makes you want to riot and kill...."- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine