system pause
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: system pause

Post system pause

The system I just built for the SBA runs great, Sandra benchmarks are right where they are supposed to be, but it has a slight, I dunno, I guess its a glitch, maybe.
    After POST, it pauses for about 45 seconds before the XP boot/splash screen fade in. It is only another 15 seconds before Windows is waiting on you, so I don't know if it is glitch or just the order in which it is loading stuff.
    I've reloaded Windows and installed all the latest essentials (BIOS, drivers, Windows Update).
    I dunno.
    I played in the BIOS. No luck.
    Hmm.
    off to play some more
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I have seen this happen with WD hard disk's and it is usually when it is the primary master with no slave, removing the jumper completely solved the problem.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

It has a 100MB ZIP as slave, I tried changing the cabling around and triple checked my jumpers.
    I have estblished it is a XP thing, maybe a driver, but I don't know of any drivers that load before the first splash screen fades in.
    The keyboard lights still work but ctrl-alt-del is locked, so I think it is an XP thing.
    Fully loaded it takes 53seconds to boot, but 35-40 seconds of it is sitting there with a black screen, POST flashes by in about 2 seconds and same with the Welcome screen. The splash screen only shows for 6-8 seconds.
    I dunno, it works GREAT other than that, and I don't even know if it is a problem. I'm delivering it tommorrow afternoon, about 1 o'clock, so if anyone can come up with an idea between now and then let me know.

I'm assuming the pause is BEFORE the Windows Splash screen with the blue bar rolling back and forth. If so, then it could be something in your boot secter, possibly a format/reinstall would fix the issue. If it is during the before mentioned screen, it could be something in the Kernal taking a bit to initialize, or a service that's causing the issue. Do you get to the screen where the white bar fills and you have the F8 option? If so, try doing a safe mode or a safe mode with command prompt and see if the boot moves along a bit quicker. Hopefully it's just an unnecessary service that is choking your speed. Let us know if you find anymore.

Also, a system file checker might help, it's possible something didn't copy correctly during the install, or something got corrupted during installation. If you're not sure how to do a system file checker, make sure you're installation cd is in the cdrom you installed the os, and go to the run command and type in:
    sfc /scannow Or, you can do a sfc /scanboot to scan on next bootup.

I'll try the SFC tommorrow and let you know the outcome.
    The white bar, as with all fast machines, you cannot see. It is then, before the screen with the blue bar that scrolls, that it pauses.

On my machine I also notice a slight pause before the boot screen fades in but it sure ain't a 45 second pause, it is more like a 2-3 second pause.

I do have a WD 20 gig master and a zip 100 as it's slave

other specs:
    ASUS TUV4X, 128 mem, Realtek NIC, SB Live, Advansys SCSI, VooDoo 3500.

I am prone to think it might be something to do with the HD, try the HD by itself (single)without the ZIP.

/me wonders if there is a step-by-step confirmation type of boot for xp so you could track down what the hangup is.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Rellik, if you boot to safe mode (f8), then it lists the drivers its loading as it goes.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Rellik, if you boot to safe mode (f8), then it lists the drivers its loading as it goes.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">that might help the original poster, I have no problems(as of now), I am just curious if there is a step-by-step that win 9x had.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Safe Mode and SFC both don't show anything. Safe Mode still has the pause but it is before the first files starts to load.
    SFC did not correct the problem either.
    Hmmmmmmm.
    Try another Mobo or hard drive, let's take a poll!
    What do you guys think? which should I try first, I have an extra Mobo and CPU combo, same Mobo and CPU as their's, or should I try another hard drive? I have everything laying here waiting to be used.

i would say try a different hardrive

Talking

If you have a zip drive slaved to your master hard drive then your hard drive will be ruinng in PIO mode since the zip drive runs in that mode, The chain is only as fast as the slowest component
    I have a black screen delay after the XP boot screen then I get the blue welcome screen and the pretty music
    This black screen has me wondering , I have a P 4 1.6 gig system
    Both my drives are masters on a promise altra 133 controller since I have 3 optical drives
    XP is runngin great inspite of this slight delay
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

format c: is correct in this case.
    The zip drive should be on the secondary ide either as master if it is alone or set as slave if there is another ide device that is set for master on the same cable.

The Hd should be left alone on the primary ide channel. If that isn't possible, then try to use your 2nd fastest device (like a cd-rom, dvd, cdrw or hd) to the hd so it doesn't get bogged down as much.

Is it on a network? Could it be trying to pull its ip address from a dhcp server?
    #3 1951-2001

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Weazel:
    <strong>Is it on a network? Could it be trying to pull its ip address from a dhcp server?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is what I was thinking. Does XP have the same issue that earlier Windows products did that makes it wait forever when looking for a DHCP server when one is not present?