rc2 and reloading

Thread: rc2 and reloading

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Thumbs down rc2 and reloading

Is it true that I can only reload rc2 6 times? Then it won't register anymore? Or is this planned for the actual retail version? I assume you will be able to register it more than 6 times but you must call microsoft and explain why?
    btw if that is the case then 1)i am going to copy it to another drive so if I have to restore I will just copy it back(wonder if that will work) 2)Microsoft better have a heck of a lot of phone people. Boy are the customers going to be mad when I tell them 1 hour for hold time trying to get xp registered. 3)I am going to stock up on win98 and me and office 2000.
    Another btw- User Interface is far too different for the casual user. I see lots of support money coming in. Wonder how the big boys(dell, etc)are going to like the number of calls their gonna get?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Registration is optional, Product activation is what you are referring to. The answer is no, there is no limit as to the number of times you can install and re-install and activate either RC2 or the final version. There is, however a limitation as to the number of hardware changes you can make before having to call MS and ask for a new Ident #. In other words you can change one of the four devices used to track WPA like the CPU as many times as you want, as long as the other devices used by WPA remains the same XP assumes this is the same machine. but if you change X amount of devices, which I believe total up to 4, within whatever period I think it's 6 months or so then XP thinks it's a new machine and has you activate it by phone. I've done it, it takes about 3 minutes.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Arrow

Very well noted Budster64 .I also have had this result from 2 HW changes,a SCSI card and more memory........
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

hehe I hear ya dude. With RC1 I overclocked a cpu and had it go off on me. Since RC2 I've replaced, the memory, The NIC card and moved up to a G3 and it never gave me a hassle.
    But even when it did in RC1 it was pretty quick and easy to get it reactivated. How long did it take you when you had to do it?
    That should actually be another topic I think.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water