Honest Opinions of Win XP - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Honest Opinions of Win XP

[quote]Originally posted by DJSEARCHING:
    <strong>Ok,were all checking out this OS,however it would be in the best intrest to check it out on the two platforms;intel/amd.There are some suttle differences between how these two work with this OS.For instance,clear text works fine on the intel machine I'm using,but not on the amd side,basically the desktop icons.Systray is funky on the amd side,volume icon dosen't display unless you reboot the machine.?.Is anyone noticing fluctuations of explorer.exe in task manager?I get that on the intel side.And it's like a car.When opening up task manager,it stops,and it won't do it all the time.Also fluctuations of svchost.exe system(the one with the more memory allocated).Sure hope the hcl list is expanded by the time this OS hits the stores,or we're really going to be earning our money.Don't even want to get in to what I had to do to get my scanner working.Oh yeah that's another thing.Any one that's going to be upgrading to xp might be fooled to think that they're going to have to upgrade their periferals,so check out what's going to be going in the trash,I will. </strong><hr></blockquote>

hahaha sounds like you buy cheap hardware for the AMD and pay a little more the intel.

Never had a problem with any of my AMD's.

I just had my moms intel fry the whole main board two weeks ago, so I upgraded here to a gigabyte board and AMD cpu, works great.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

I will NOT install XP on my personnal equipment. No way. I've been a fan of Microsoft for a long time and I can see product activation on server software, e.g. Citrix, but when the easiest way to sometimes fix a Windows client is to reinstall Windows I don't see how you can be expected to reregister each time. How about all the small business's that still have either very slow or no Internet access whatsoever? Sure you can call in the activation but when everyone and their brother is doing that the hold queue's will build up. Its bad enough you sometimes have to way for support for a while. Anyway I'll turn my rant mode off now.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

My mistake,I thought we were giving our honest opinion of this OS.The AMD/INTEL thing,I thought I saw that in another thread "YAWN".I'm getting to the heart of this OS,not just going ooooooooo-ahhhhhhhhh.How about you?Little quirks like a volume icon which worked fine on other OS's installed on the AMD machine,or clear type was just a couple of things I see.I mean clear type really helped on folder icons,but not the desk top,thats all.Again opinions are like...I'm just saying what I'm noticing.Or should I ask,is this MS's perfect OS?Care to share what your noticing?

My only gripe is my ATI AIW Pro software doesn't work with XP. ATI hasn't even mentioned XP on their web site yet. Guess I'll just have to wait. As soon as Kensington comes out with XP drivers for my web cam, I'm nixing Windows ME. I will keep 2K dual booted though. XP isn't really that stable. Just more compatible with a lot of hardware. I've only had one piece of hardware that XP didn't pick up on its own and install the drivers for it and that was a Xerox WorkCentre M940 Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax. I had to use the 2K drivers for that.

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong>

hahaha sounds like you buy cheap hardware for the AMD and pay a little more the intel.

Never had a problem with any of my AMD's.

I just had my moms intel fry the whole main board two weeks ago, so I upgraded here to a gigabyte board and AMD cpu, works great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the CPU fried the rest of the board????

How did you troubleshoot this and relegate the problem to be...the CPU frying the rest of the MOBO??

I would sincerely like to know how this happened since I have never seen the CPU fry the MOBO out....I've seen it the other way around though.

So I'd sure would like to know what happened, and how you came about this diagnosis??
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

JWW

Also it seems that AGP 4X is disabled with XP on VIA chipsets by default, even after installing the 4-in-1 drivers (v4.32 & 4.33) it was still not reported as being in 4X mode (Sisoft Sandra & WCPUID bith reported it as 4X compatiable but running in 2X) even though it was under Windows 2000. Updated video drivers didn't work either (nVidia Detonators & ATI's Radeon drivers) for either of the Video cards tried.

------------------
    w00t

DJSEARCHING

Well I think I found the "flucuations" in task manager on the intel side.I clicked on it as soon as it was happening,and found that it was defragging in the background.Makes sense why I couldn't see this in the event viewer log.Yes I'm running it as fat32,only because I'm assuming the home version will be basically set up this way.One small but interesting point,a couple of weeks ago,I went on the internet,and found that IE6 made MS.com the home page all by itself.Anyone else getting any strange things like that?

DJSEARCHING

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JWW:
    [B]Also it seems that AGP 4X is disabled with XP on VIA chipsets by default, even after installing the 4-in-1 drivers (v4.32 & 4.33) it was still not reported as being in 4X mode (Sisoft Sandra & WCPUID bith reported it as 4X compatiable but running in 2X) even though it was under Windows 2000. Updated video drivers didn't work either (nVidia Detonators & ATI's Radeon drivers) for either of the Video cards tried.
    --------------------------------------------
    Yeah thats one thing I noticed when I first opened up this sys.All the property sheets under device manager are more or less locked,can't manually change settings.I think this sys is more at the mercy of MS's certified drivers.

apd183

Other than Micro$oft being proprietary and monopolizing, XP sounds like a good OS. I have to admit I haven't seen it running, though. I think i'll get it when it comes out if I can get the ca$h.

About the product activation, I remember reading somewhere about a company that took the WPA apart and analyzed what it did. With the version that they had it took 10 pieces of equipment (ram amt., hd #, cd #, nic mac address, dockable(Y/N), and I don't remember). It will ask to be re-activated after 3 things have changed, unless it is dockable (ie a laptop), and then it takes 6 things to re-activate, in order to accept the changes in docking hardware. The only things differen't that i've heard lately are that it takes 4 changes to ask for re-activation, and the baseline is reset every 120 days, or something like that. I don't really think WPA will be a big hinderance.

For business that have to load XP on lots of computers, I've seen office XP's that don't need to be activated because they are sold under a multi computer lisence.

My 2c.

Found it! http://www.licenturion.com/xp/

[This message has been edited by apd183 (edited September 10, 2001).]

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by JWW:
    Also it seems that AGP 4X is disabled with XP on VIA chipsets by default, even after installing the 4-in-1 drivers (v4.32 & 4.33) it was still not reported as being in 4X mode (Sisoft Sandra & WCPUID bith reported it as 4X compatiable but running in 2X) even though it was under Windows 2000. Updated video drivers didn't work either (nVidia Detonators & ATI's Radeon drivers) for either of the Video cards tried.

</font>
    I had the same problem until I installed the latest Radeon Beta drivers. Now everythign is running as t was under Win2K. Just got to find some decent SB Live! drivers now that don't go all wishy-washy when Hardware Acceleration is enabled....

I must admit though that one of the new MP8 visualisations in the ****! for Windows XP is very humourous

------------------
    Yes it is the real deal

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 10, 2001).]

Froghead

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Budster64:

I would sincerely like to know how this happened since I have never seen the CPU fry the MOBO out....I've seen it the other way around though.

So I'd sure would like to know what happened, and how you came about this diagnosis??[/B]</font>
    Heh Budster64, ya haven' seen an Athlon meltdown yet? We've had two in our shop. First one just melted the fan on the heatsink, mobo was fine. The second one we saw melted the fan too but also welded itself to the socket. Needed a 2ft crowbar to pry the sucker out. So which did what? The mobo or CPU?

------------------
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

willys

Thumbs up

I like Win XP and think it will be a great upgrade. I haven't had any problems with it so far except the OPK Preinstallation part. One cool feature that will help alot of techs who troubleshoot it is the Remote Assistance. Its like a PC Anywhere program that is setup in the OS already. You will be able to take control of a customers computer from an e-mail. Also, I really like the profiling. A user can go into XP even if another user is is running a program. YOu can log into the system while the other user still has everything running. I give it a thumbs up. The preinstallation is alot easier that Win 2000, I think to, with the new Winbom.ini and the WinPE enviorment. Alot of new features.

------------------
    Thats easy, PEZ.....Cherry flavored PEZ!

Cobra

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    I must admit though that one of the new MP8 visualisations in the ****! for Windows XP is very humourous

</font>
    I assume you're talking about Munch, DW? Let the Bodies Hit the Floor.

------------------
    Yes this is THE Cobra....

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Cobra:
    I assume you're talking about Munch, DW? Let the Bodies Hit the Floor.

</font>
    Shhhhhh nobody is supposed to know about Munch yet

------------------
    Yes it is the real deal

Budster64

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Froghead:
    Heh Budster64, ya haven' seen an Athlon meltdown yet? We've had two in our shop. First one just melted the fan on the heatsink, mobo was fine. The second one we saw melted the fan too but also welded itself to the socket. Needed a 2ft crowbar to pry the sucker out. So which did what? The mobo or CPU?

</font>
    traditionally Athlons run hot...but that's not the CPU that was mentioned. He said a Pent, which does not run as hot as the Athlons. Also don't forget where the CPU get's it's voltage...the mobo.

------------------
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water