What is your page file set at by default?

Thread: What is your page file set at by default?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Post What is your page file set at by default?

I had 256 mb ram and a 40 gb hard drive when I installed XP Pro. I just added another 256 for 512 mb ram. I decided to check the Page file and noticed it had a custom setting of 384mb. I don't remember changing this. When I asked windows to set it it changed to 767. I am curious, is 767 right for this size ram and h ard drive? Did i or another program resize the page file? What is your page file by default?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox

I'm running XPpro with 512mb of ram also and my virtual memory is set at 768. I checked the resource kit documentation and it doesn't give a default setting for XP, just says XP creates a larger page file than the default size in 2000.

Internet Linebacker

I believe XP sets it to 1.5 times your physical ram by default.

2k does the same.. there are a few good threads on optimization of the paging file
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cobra Tha Funky Homo Sapien:
    <strong>I believe XP sets it to 1.5 times your physical ram by default.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would explain the 384 file created when I installed with 256 of ram. I wonder why it changed to a "Custom" setting because when I added the second 256mb it did not change the size. I will need to check on this the next time a install XP.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I just leave it as system managed, very little if any performance loss and you dont have to worry about running out of memory
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Question

Odd everyone elses seems to be about 1.5 to 1 ratio. Mine is at 192 and I have 256 installed.
    I can win any argument with any computer made yet. Since they really haven't learned to fight back.

Mine is set the same as Tacklebox, with the same amount of RAM.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pyroate:
    <strong>Odd everyone elses seems to be about 1.5 to 1 ratio. Mine is at 192 and I have 256 installed.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">have you added ram since you installed xp? is it set to custom or system managed?