Updating Windows XP

Thread: Updating Windows XP

Post Updating Windows XP

I heard that if your copy of WinXP isn't registered, then Microsoft will crash your system when you attempt to update the software through their WIndows Update site.

Is this true or accurate?

I ask, because I would like to install my friend's copy of XP to horse around with, before I go out to buy a copy for myself.
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

oh boy, you might wanna put on the flame retardant suit soon...other people here may get on to you about piracy. SURE....you are gonna buy a copy.

Anyway, Is your friends copy legit. If so you may run into difficulty because of M$ activation. If it lets you use your friends key (might not if he has already activated it) you may cause problems for him when he tries to update his copy. If you are using the well circulated corporate key, ms has been talking about using the update to lock out those that are using that key through windows update.

It will install and run for 30 days bfore activation is required. After 30 days it will not boot and will insist on activation.

It will not crash. As soon as SP1 comes out, it will deny updates for all known "hacked keys"

The system will still run, just no more updates.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Answering the previous question, yes, my friend's copy is legit; and I have no problem PURCHASING a copy of XP. I saw XP somewhere for $98.

I just thought that I would ask, before doing, and I've learned that it would be safest if I just play with his installed copy on his pc, which has already been activated.

Thanks for the advice.
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."