WinXP Pro has amnesia?

Thread: WinXP Pro has amnesia?

Lightbulb WinXP Pro has amnesia?

I have 4 computers on my network, I use workgroups, a webserver running also and have mapped "drives" on all the computers and for the life of me my WinXP box forgets its network settings, I boot up and goto access the network and poof I get a message "Your are not part of the "xxx" network see your admin for help" well I'm the admin, and all the other computers see the network fine. The only way I can fix this to go the My computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Network ID button and use the wizard (again) give the name of my work group, restart and everythings fine agian, till I reboot. Then I have to start over agian. It's very frustrating the account has been created the other computer don't have this problem, just this one. Any Ideas?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Things like this have happened to me also, XP forgetting folder settings, window positions, view methods etc. Also it never seems to remember to keep the status bar where its supposed to be

Dont know what the cause is but I'll be watching this topic to see what the case is
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Are you logged as Administrator or does you profile just have administrator rights?

Corrupt profiles do very strange things, the only thing I can think of is to go to safe mode, login as Administrator, delete and recreate your profile.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Are you logged as Administrator or does you profile just have administrator rights?

Corrupt profiles do very strange things, the only thing I can think of is to go to safe mode, login as Administrator, delete and recreate your profile.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">if you logged into that profile you will need to reboot to unlock it. though if you never went into that profile, login as administrator or another account with admin rights. Then right click on the Start button and click explore.

You will see all the profiles. Now dont delete the profile just rename it. john.old oe somhing, do this so you can recreate the profile the way it used to look. After you rename the prfile logout then login as that user you had problems with, after you logged in reboot the machine.

Now login as a diffrent user with admin rights when the system loads. Now right click the Start button and go into the profile you renamed, here you can copy over the desktop shortcuts, the internet bookmarks, cookies, outlook .ost files and .pst files, My documents and anything else you want