[RESOLVED] Hard drive is not be recognized as master slave but be recognized as secondary slave?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hard drive is not be recognized as master slave but be recognized as secondary slave?

johnniegeorge

Question Hard drive is not be recognized as master slave but be recognized as secondary slave?

I have a 20 gig drive maxtor, it crashed so I formatted completely even put a new partitioned and now my CPU will show it as the primary slave drive instead of the primary master...!! What did I do wrong? How can I make it the master again. I had to switch to my secondary drive which is a 1 gig and now it is my master the CPU picked it up immediately. Can you give me some advise please. Thank you kindly. JG

That's weird... Did you change its jumper settings?

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Tushar

While connecting your old 1 gig did you by chance swap the ribbon cable ends ? Is the BIOS detections doen correctly ?. I think give a second look and also confirm the jumper settings.

johnniegeorge

Hi Aliendyne, I didn't change anything, what happen I was getting errors on a lot of programs because I let a friend use my computer and what she did I couldn't tell you. She is not computer friendly. what I did is transfer everything on my d: drive to my zip drive, then formatted my d:, then I formatted my c: drive. I did discovered somthing!!! my cable connect to my c: drive is not responding like it should, I have to press on it and move it around and then my old hard drive started to respond, so I have my 20 gig on hold now, I am going to just buy a new computer, I found out now, my sound card is giving me problems, what it does when I turn on the wave, I have a click sound that will not stop, my cd rom will still play music? this old pentium 233 will not let me upgrade to a 3D video card, so I am going to sell it and just buy a new CPU only, I have a good monitor 17". Thank you so much for the quick help, its good to know and have good people like you to for help. I told a lot of my friends to check out this site. Johnniegeorge