Best backup for XP

Thread: Best backup for XP

Post Best backup for XP

I have my 60GB WD ATA 100 on an ATA Raid 100 mirrored to another drive.

Any suggestions for a better way to backup a whole hard drive and not just files or folders.

I have used Ghost in Win 2k and experienced problems using the image to put back on a drive and I fear that XP will be similar.

Any thoughts? as to a better solution that what I'm doing now.
    Would you like fries with that?

I would have to say that the raid option is the easiest, fastest way of backing up that monster hard drive.

Tape backups, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars on a DLT array, will not be able to backup your drive on a single tape. Most DAT drives store between 8-20 Gigs of data, and are more expensive than the $99 for an IDE raid controller and $200-$249 for a hard drive.
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

[quote]Originally posted by PJPilate:
    <strong>Most DAT drives store between 8-20 Gigs of data, and are more expensive than the $99 for an IDE raid controller and $200-$249 for a hard drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, 60GB 7200rpm hard drives don't cost anywhere near $250..you can get em for $130 if you look around.

So I'd have to second your opinion; do the RAID mirroring.

Thanks guys,

Just wanted some confirmation on my thoughts....
    Would you like fries with that?

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>

Actually, 60GB 7200rpm hard drives don't cost anywhere near $250..you can get em for $130 if you look around.

So I'd have to second your opinion; do the RAID mirroring.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Never said that it was going to be another 60gig drive, actually, I've got $155 right here and $89 for the raid card...
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.