Maxtor hard drives... any good? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maxtor hard drives... any good?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I have to put my vote in for maxtor, they have never let me down, now for WD I have had some problems with, but they admitted that the problem was a manufacturing defect but I didnt find out about the recall in time so they would not send me a new drive. I recently got a new Western Digital to give them another chance. I'll let ya know if it gives me any trouble
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Re: Maxtor hard drives... any good?

Originally posted by arokh
    I used to swear by Maxtor IDE hard drives. I have never had a problem with mine, and I see very little, if any, have problems in the shop where I work. I'm at the point where I want to buy a bigger one, but now I noticed since they bought out Quantum, they are using the old Quantum design and slapping the Maxtor name on it. For the most part, Quantums used to be junk, so I'm hesitant. Do they still manufacture true Maxtor drives, and if so, how do you tell the difference without opening the box? Is it time to go with Western Digital? We put WD drives in a lot of our builds, and see very little failure rates (but again, not as low as I used to see with pre-Quantum Maxtor drives). I will not buy either Seagate or IBM, these two have the highest failure rate I've seen, so it's either Maxtor or Quantum. Any thoughts? I'd like to get an ATA-100 60/80GB 7200 rpm.

/|rokh
    [old thread revisited heh, can I get a BUMP]

Wow, a whole 5 months later I finally found it! I know a lot of people share my dedication to true Maxtor drives, so I thought I'd post about it. I went out to the big blue box yesterday and found myself a Maxtor, 120GB ATA-133, 7200rpm, 8MB cache, fluid dynamic bearing monster for about $200 (diamondmax plus 9 or whatever they call it, model # 6Y120P0, not sure of kit #).

The best part of it all is it's a true Maxtor drive, not a Quantum restamped with Maxtor on it! I think they took my advice and started making good drives again.

My only gripe is it's a little louder than the Maxtor's I'm used to, but within reason for a hard drive of this caliber (I'm sure I could turn on acoustic management, but I want performance). They also make it in serial-ATA, but I wont be to that level for a few years, so I got the ATA-133 version.

My verdict: buy this drive

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."