INSTALLING XP PRO PROBLEM

Thread: INSTALLING XP PRO PROBLEM

Post INSTALLING XP PRO PROBLEM

A friend is trying to install XP PRO in his computor. He has tried it several times in his and his wifes computor and he gets the same error. It says" Message:
    An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

One of the components that windows needs to continue could not be installed.

Manifest Parse Error: invalid at the top level of the document.

Error

SXS.DLL Syntax Error in Manifest or policy file,

" D:\1386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\.MA N" on line 0

Does anyone know a way to fix this. Is this a faulty install disk? It is the exact same error in both of his systems. Any help at all would be appreciated.

i had tons of error messages when installing XP Pro, and when i finally got it installed, the errors became even more numerous, but after a few tricks, i now have it running flawlessly.

what i did:

(1) make sure you do a full format of the drive you wish to install XP to, i originally did a quick format from within Win98SE and that didn't help matters.

(2) get the latest BIOS for your machine. make sure you have a copy/backup of your current BIOS before flashing to a new one in case of further probs. and before installing XP, set your BIOS to default/fail safe settings.

(3) try to avoid installing XP from within 98. do a clean install by booting from your XP CD (the option to make your PC boot a CD first before anything else can be found in your BIOS), or make boot disks if your PC cannot boot a CD.

(4) from personal experience, i wouldn't recommend upgrading from say 98, to XP. i initially did this and lost everything due to a severe crash half way through the install process. a dual boot system is a better option in my humble opinion.

hope that helps.
    Win XP Pro, Athlon 1.2ghz, K7S5A mobo, Leadtek 64MB GeForce 4 Ti4200, 384MB Ram, 40gig Maxtor 7200 HD, Soundblaster 128

"(3) try to avoid installing XP from within 98. do a clean install by booting from your XP CD (the option to make your PC boot a CD first before anything else can be found in your BIOS), or make boot disks if your PC cannot boot a CD."

Can u do this with the "upgrade" disc????????

HMM,. I installed XP Pro and absolutely zero problems........ go figure.
    Titles can be misleading,.. Don't beleive everything you read.

Is this error occurnig from a original cd or from a copy? The error you are getting is very similar to an error that occurs with a certain pirated copy that is floatnig around. Have you checked to see if your friend is installing a legal copy?

Just a thought....
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Talking

I did a clean install from my upgrade disk , I just booted off of the cd , Chose to format my C; partition, then I installed WIn xp after it asked to scan my copy of WIn 98 se ( full version OEM )
    So you can do it
    Xp is running great on my system , all my apps load faster including my games , I can even run my older favorite software
    Make sure you have updated drivers for you devices
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

[quote]Originally posted by joelen:
    <strong>Is this error occurnig from a original cd or from a copy? The error you are getting is very similar to an error that occurs with a certain pirated copy that is floatnig around. Have you checked to see if your friend is installing a legal copy?

Just a thought....</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was my first thought too. I would say in order to fix the problem, go out to the store and purchase a legal copy of it. My copy of Home Edition installed over ME very easily (except for all the incompatibility issues with CL products.)
    Hello World

Cool

I know with my AMD 600mhz ir kept telling me some crap about my hardrive being locked etc.

I had to turn off the memory timeing in Bios

This is common problem with the ISO burning. Reburn the ISO and insure DAO is used

Beergod- you should delete your post- check the rules of posting here- we aren't supposed to post information on warez, hacking, etc....

just a suggestion...

Angry

it is a bootleg copy you are using. I had that problem way back when. xp home is great and legal. ya gotta have legal to get tch support so that was a no brainer.

if you are cheap like me get an oem copy they work fine

[quote]Originally posted by valyard:
    <strong>
    if you are cheap like me get an oem copy they work fine</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes! it was a great day for our company when Microsoft finally "cut the stings" and allowed oem software to be sold with any hardware instead of just MB, HD or whole systems...

Not only did we start selling more copies of OEM Windows, but MAN! the audio cable sales have gone thru the roof!