Roxio cd burning program

Thread: Roxio cd burning program

Question Roxio cd burning program

I've read the other post here about this and I've already downloaded the patch MS has for CD-RWs. I have no problem burning files or directories, but when it comes down to copying a full cd, it just won't do it. The program will only go so far before it comes up with an error reading a file, and there's no errors on my other system while copying this cd, there's only errors reading this cd while trying to copy it with the WinXP system using the generic roxio cd burning program. Is there a shortcut or something to this roxio burning software that I'm missing because the only way I'm able to access it is by right clicking on a file, then the menu asks whether I'd like to save file to A:, send it somewhere, a couple of other things, then the burn to cd option. Is this normal for this Roxio program in WinXP?

Is there an exe for this roxio program or regular link? Or is the "right click" on a file or directory the only way you can access the roxio cd burning program that's built into WinXP? If it is the only way, then this program's crap, or could it be the beginning of the end for full cd copying (anti-piracy). I just want to be able to copy some music CDs of mine so I can leave a copy in my car and the other copy home and I'm not much into creating wav files only to hope to see if they get converted back into cda files with this generic burner software. I have plenty of coasters, I don't need anymore.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.

I only use the built-in Roxio stuff for burning data to RW's. For music and disk copies etc., I use the full Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum v5.02c. If you buy this do a custom install and leave off the DirectCD and Take Two apps. I can do direct drive to drive copies between my Toshiba 16XDVD and Yamaha 24X10X40 in under 3 minutes.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I've come up with a creative way of burning a music cd with the Roxio that comes with XP. (The Roxio that comes with XP is NOT the full version and does NOT support direct creation of music CD's. i.e. from store bought CD to CD-R.) It's kind of time consuming, but it goes like this:

Choose a music track and select the "Convert to Wave" option. (It reads something like that. I'm at work right now and don't have my XP in front of me, sorry...) Copy the track as a wave to a directory on your hard drive. I put the folder on my desktop for ease of use. Repeat this process for every track on the CD.

When that is done for all the tracks you want to burn, simply go into Roxio and burn those .wav files onto the CD-R. (Do NOT copy the folder, just put the .wav's on the CD's root directory.) Once it's done burning the CD-R, if you go in and look at the files, it's made "Track1.cda, Track2.cda...etc. This is EXACTLY the same format as a music CD.

To recap, just copy the tracks to your hard drive as .wav files and burn those files to the CD-R. And voila! Hope this helps, I know it's a pain in the a$$. Now I'm just looking for a way to trick Roxio into making a VCD for me...
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

Question

Thanks for the replies guys!! Fool, I've done exactly what you've stated in your reply to my question, that's why I posted. Sometimes the files came out right, other times they were coasters.

Sowulo. I took your advice and got Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. What is that direct cd anyways? How does that work? Why should I not use this program? Sound Streams pretty good, rips CDs fast disc - disc. Question though, why did it state while I was installing Easy CD Creator " No supported drives found"? I'm able to use the software and all, and the program sees the CD-RW without any pauses, what was up with that message? I've installed the XP patch from Roxio, anything else I should do?

As always, thanks for the replies, all the help has been greatly appreciated.
    Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.

I had the same error when installing on XP.

Don't worry about it if you've used the recommended updates. This fixes the problem.

I think it was something to do with xp reading drivers correctly

Cool

I have Nero 7 and roxio easy media creator 7.5. I have been burning Cd`s
    and DVD`s successively until recently. I pick nero Icon, It comes up I
    choose music to burn and disapperars and goes to task bar but the
    program does not come up I receive a message Nero.exe has encountered
    a problem and needs to close! Roxio a little different, I select Music file to burn and it grays out the button to add files. Is sony`s toolkit
    creating this problem??? Ewido showed toolkit on scan but did not
    reconize or post it on scanner

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    . Is sony`s toolkit
    creating this problem??? Ewido showed toolkit on scan but did not
    reconize or post it on scanner
    You've picked a hell of an old thread to bump up ! You even managed to find one with a post in it that Curt forgot to delete !! (Sowulo, who was once head mod of this place & left after a fall out - but that's a very long story indeed)

But in answer to your questions, if you've got all the M$ updates for your system, then the 'malicious software removal tool' should get rid of any issues with sony root kits ('scuse me while I just laugh a bit .. ), but that gets re-issued on the 2nd tuesday of every month (Wtf do I know that ? but I do .. ) so there's a possibility timing issues mean you ain't got it yet, or the right one anyways - if you think its there somewhere's I'd chase that down - mannual removal instructions (btw got to be 'expert really' to be doing this).

On your symptoms besides your suspicions, I'd say it sounds exactly like some DRM issue - so either what you think, or some configuration issue, but you ought to be able to prove that by just trying to burn data files..

Thanks --Ed I was wondering if this post would be viewable. I can burn files
    (Data). Even on Nero AS well as Roxio. I will keep updating maybe soon I can get rid of this foul software that is Destroying my additude.

Just read manual removing instructions, Yes indeed a little involved.
    NO I am not an expert in programming, I will have it shown by the first
    Part of letter. Heck Question, If I try to edit and f**k up and then
    If I read it right will my Data Lifeguard tools see the drive so I can write zero`s on it to rid of that rootkit? or will I get WHIRRR CLICK CLICK
    and no operating drive just boat anchor??

Rootkits f'about with your windows install & hide themselves where 'normal stuff' can't use/see things by creating their own class of admin level user (well infact 'worse' than that, as the user class is just about equivalent to 'system' & that means it can do all sorts of stuff it shouldn't be able to & that most processes aren't either, so there's nothing to stop it!) & then allowing only that class to see what they have done (& this is why folks are going 'nutz' about them, as its really 'pissed with' the basic security behind windows by doing this).

Zero fill sounds a touch extreme though for getting rid of it - perhaps try the removal tool at sony.. trots off & googles .. oh no - look at this wikipedia entry !

So now I'm not sure what the hell can get shut of it 'completely & absolutely on all systems' .. maybe zero fill is the answer ? - the other alternative seems to be to trust M$ - a concept I'm having a great deal of difficulty with !

I'd get my computers behind over to windows update, let it do its worst/best & then have a re-scan with whatever you picked it up with before, & then if you think you've still got a problem, I'll have another think ..

I would also use Blacklight and Rootkit revealer and see what they pick up.
    I have had 2 rootkits in systems of late. Neither being the sony one but in essence I expect they are much the same.
    Rootkit.Hacktool
    The first I fought with for days andnever successfully removed because I was in learning mode. I ended up formatting the drive
    Second one I went straight to pulling the drive off the machine and putting it in a seperate machine. It found it and deleted the files and hasnt come back yet. So I assume its all good
    Last edited by Ferrit; December 9th, 2005 at 10:49 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    ..The first I fought with for days andnever successfully removed because I was in learning mode. I ended up formatting the drive
    Second one I went straight to pulling the drive off the machine and putting it in a seperate machine. It found it and deleted the files and hasnt come back yet. So I assume its all good
    Good tip there methinks for us 'builder type' folks , maybe not useful tho' for home folks with no spare stuff - what are the tools you mentioned like Ferrit ? (try to think from Joe Schmoe's view if you'd be so kind! )

Blacklight abnd rootkit revealer arepretty darn good for seeing stuff thats hidden with the $$
    F-secure is where blacklight comes from and The other is Rootkit revealer from systernals I believe
    http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html