Missing SYS.INI files

Thread: Missing SYS.INI files

Post Missing SYS.INI files

My son called me last night , their computer refuses to boot , says SYS.ini files are missing.This is all the info I have at this point , problem is his fiance has a 20 page term paper on the drive w/ no backup .I can't afford to make a mistake here so need input !I believe I can just set the drive as slave , install a new master drive , load Windows and transfer the document files if there is no overlay present, also could do an overlay of Windows 98 . The question is what is the most reliable , safest method to save the document files , is there a way to restore the SYS.ini files without risking damage to the document files ?

Darren Wilson

A friend of mine had the exact same problem. System.ini is missing. Can he get into Safe Mode? I could do thaton my friends amchine and the System.ini file was completely empty!! If you can get into Safe Mode you should be able to drag the files onto the floppy (as long as they are not too big) for safe keeping.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Thanks Darren , I asked him that last night and tried to get it done over the telephone but no luck ,don't know if it was my instructions or his interpretation of them ! He's sending me the computer and thats the first thing I'll try.Thanks for your help
    Bob

Got it ! Called back to try Safe mode again and this time he got in , we saved the files and he is sending the computer to me for repair/reload .Thanks again Darren.