[RESOLVED] Looking for a web page with good information about how SCSI works...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Looking for a web page with good information about how SCSI works...

Ainner

Resolved [RESOLVED] Looking for a web page with good information about how SCSI works...

I have a scsi card AHA-2940 and I'm trying to connect a internal cd writer + an external scanner to it... My big problem is : Adaptec documentation isn't enough complete enough to explain me in detail how to setup the scsi chain for my internal and external devices... I'm assuming that the scsi card is part of the scsi chain but I'm not sure... So i would like to have a web site or somethign else that give me all the information about termination and things like that.. Thx !

NooToo

Hi, this is a favourite site of mine, clear definitions without being to high and mighty or condescending...

http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/S/SCSI.html

have fun ...

------------------
    Never ever say out loud or even think to yourself near a computer "I'll just do this quickly...."

Ainner

Question

Ok checked your link and it help me understanding the SCSI standard but I'm still searching for a detail explanation on Termination

I need something that explain how to terminate a chain when you haev external and internal device and more...

Exclamation

Hi,

Ok...lets go.

Usually, address 7 is reserved for the SCSI interface card itself. Don't worry about trying to terminate the internal devices...it is the external devices that you need to worry about. There are probably two SCSI connectors on the back of your external device. It doesn't matter which connector is your interface cable and which one is the terminator...they work the same. Some SCSI interfaces require an Active Terminator while some will work with a Passive Terminator. Are you using a 50-pin connector or a 68-pin connector? The 50-pin connector refers to what is called Single Ended SCSI while the 68-pin refers to what is called Fast/Wide SCSI. Some F/W SCSI devices can be used with the Single Ended providing you have a 50-pin to 68-pin adapter...I have used them before with good success...they cost about $16-18. Most of the newer F/W SCSI drives have a jumper that you can set to "Force SE Operation"...you will need to set that in order for it to operate properly.

Sorry to ramble on so long...if you need some more info, let us know.

Anyway, Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Exclamation

Hi Again,

Adaptec's website below talks about terminating devices:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...dkey=971986135

Some other good info in their FAQ's also.

DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

http://ata-atapi.com

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

Compugeek

I've gotten tons of information form Tomshardware.com They have the basic as well as the more obsure with reviews as well.

------------------
    "Here phydeaux"