high point

Thread: high point

Banned

Post high point

is anyone/has anyone ,,,got/using a highpoint rocketraid 133 PCI CARD ,,,NOT internal- onboard chip , i bought a asus board without raid , as i had read a few comments on it - with either firewire or usb2 ,,,any way i am after a card now i am using ata133 drives (and my m/board accepts them) and the board supports pci 66 ,,good thing.

intention: 2x 60g drives set together to enable faster transfers (not drom 1 to the other - but in writing /editing files, plus ability to release onboard ide for more cd rom configeration. i currently am playing with files in excess 2gig

this card is to be use on a 2k enviroment , and is available to me locally ( <a href="http://www.scan.co.uk" target="_blank">www.scan.co.uk</a> ) @ £65.00 inc tax ,

setting up may be a different problem , if i get it then i may ask questions,

I am d/loading the manual as we speak,

does anyone reccomend this card???

FtF

Thumbs down

I've had it with Highpoint. Promise makes much
    better and faster controllers and controller cards. Also, Microsoft has its problems with
    Highpoint drivers in a Win2k environment. They
    are losers.
    Winners deserve the accolades more
    than losers deserve any tears.

Banned

ok point accepted ,,,but still awaiting other comments, i have used promise ata 66 ??? cards in the past (on bx boards) ,,,and sometimes they worked , sometimes they did,nt .....read the small print.

I can get a promise ,is it tx 200 or summot , that looks the same , but it,s about 35-40% dearer than the hi point one,

The second reason i looked at hipoint (first = price) is that a large No. of board Mfers seem to be using the hi point chip,

please feel free to add comments to this question.

FtF

Thumbs up

Just checked Newegg and the Promise and Highpoint
    cards (ata133) are each $30. Also, check Highpoint
    in the MS Knowledge Base and you will find the
    problems with Win2k and probably NT. In addition,
    Anandtech and Tomshardware I believe both rated
    the cards and Promise had much better performance.
    My experience with Highpoing is the built-in on
    Soyo motherboards had a very high failure rate
    after 2 yeard of use. I will not use them again.

Arrow

A customer of mine has one working under xp happily so surely 2000?!? it claims to on the web site.

£65 sounds ok, but a 100 is £25?

Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by confus-ed:
    <strong>A customer of mine has one working under xp happily so surely 2000?!? it claims to on the web site.

£65 sounds ok, but a 100 is £25?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">cheers ian (had to "bump" this one) i am on a ata133 board (a7v333) and maxtors 740s , there are some drivers for udma6 for via c/set (viaide tool) , via BM drivers , seem to work ,,,,the last board (a7a -ali) there drivers were $rap - DID,NT WORK , so i dont want to drop spec , as i,.m sure 2k/xp will get proper support soon.

as i said i was looking at hipoint , because they seem to becoming popular "on chip" ,,,so i thought they might have got ther act together.

FtF

I run RAID on my Soyo's onboard Highpoint under XP and have run it under 2k with great sucess. The drivers supplied with the motherboard I heard had alot of problems, but I never use drivers disks anyhow, I always download the latest drivers.

Sorry, I know it doesn't pertain to your topic, seeing as how you're going PCI, but it's my $.02!
    Those who do not know, are lost...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MaddMaxx:
    <strong>Also, if Highpoint makes poor onboard controllers,
    what makes you think the adapter card is any different?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Many things contribute to making the adapter card different, not least of which is the fact that it is not in a specific board. Drivers for onboard are supplied by the board manufacturer and may not be the same as the adapter card. The motherboard may be of poor quality and have inbuilt issues with the onboard design.

As for looking up the price on Newegg, that is this weeks price for those in the US only. While I appreciate you are looking up the price for the US users, the price at a well known on-line store gives no indication of quality of the product which is what this thread is about.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The Highpoint controller on the Soyo boards I
    used worked fine for about a year and a half. Then, I had a 20% failure rate of the chip itself.
    I moved the hard drive to the onboard controller
    and was back in business.