Template Question

Thread: Template Question

Post Template Question

When copying a text file from a scanner, I assume Word forms a template of this document onto your desktop/hard dribe. Am I able to edit this template, and create a new edited version of my liking for futue use. I've attempted this, but to no avail. Or, am I proceeding in the wrong direction? Many thanks!(Win 98 and Office 2000)

Depends on your scanner software.

You need a scanner and software that has OCR (OPtical Character Recognition). If you've got that, through W98 and higher you can (if your software hasn't done it automatically) add/identify the hardware.

You should the be able to "Scan To" the app you require. If not, you should be able to "Save As" (the scan) a .rtf file and use your WP to access that.

A scan should not be saved automatically as a template. The sofwtare simply interprets the scan as characters, and drops them into a (Word) document in the same physical location relative to the scan.

You may also have software capable of scanning "text only", or "text and image". The latter can cause some interesting effects!

In any case, once in (Word) you can edit the document as if you had typed it. OCR became standard on "good" scanner software some years ago, and many scanners can now be used, because of OCR, as copiers, fax machines and email sources.

Good luck!

I appreciate the info! Many thanks!