Rainbow Runner alternate capture software?

Thread: Rainbow Runner alternate capture software?

Exclamation Rainbow Runner alternate capture software?

I have a system running winXP Pro, and I'm useing A Matrox G400 with a Rainbow runner G-series capture card. I didn't realize till recently that the Video tools for neither Win 2ooo or Win ME work with card for capture (the last time I used the card for capture was when I had WinMe installed) Lately I've been caputering off a DV camera w/ firewire. But now i need to pull of a VCR. If I use the Vidtools for Either Win2K or WinME I get cannot find device or it's being used by another blah, blah, blah. Anyway if I pull out the drivers disk that cam with my RRG I can install the Vidtools but not the driver (they're win95/98 only) but I can view the video playing on the VCR, but I still can't capture it, I get the "drivers may need to be reinstalled" story. I was wondering if there is a 3rd party Video program that can access the Hardware itself like Ulead or Adobe, I don't need to capture in Mjpeg, AVI is fine with me. Or should I Have (3) Hard drives (1) for WinXp & My programs, (1) small one for win98 & The Matrox Vidtools and (1) large one for a Scratch disk. I spent $300 to get the 2 cards and hate to think I have to scrap them both just to get another one.

Lightbulb

Hey what do you want me to sugar coat it for you? A yes or no would be fine, at least its an answer. If I knew that answer myself and wouldn't bother posting it.

Just because nobody replied to your post, doesn't mean nobody cares. And you're not going to get many answers with that kind of attitude.

I personally recommend a dual boot with Win98. Windows XP throws legacy support out the window, so if you have old hardware you need to still use, then stick with what works.

I suggest logging into Matrox forums and ask there.
    Lot's of people are there and the tech support people/moderators are very helpfull.
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>

"No drivers are planned, none will ever be created" Matrox turns a blind eye and deaf ear when it comes to RRG and XP. Regardless if XP "threw out legacy support" computers can't go faster if they have to support slower hardware. I doubt my hardware would fall into this catergory, because the RRG never recieved decent drivers under Win 2K, which would explain their dis-interest in WinXP support. Basically they were too lazy to to do it right on Win2K and now it will cost them more to get it right under WinXp. After checking Ebay I notice that my G400 / RRG setup is in ample supply. My main interest was is their a third party program that can access this card under XP, like Adobe Premere can Access my DV camera.

If you don't want to scrap the cards, just set up the dual boot you talked about in your original post and do your capture in either 98 or ME

You see, you need to read better.

GO TO MATROX FORUMS and ask there.

not to matrox drivers page as we all know what is there.

The G400 have new drivers from last month. The card as a display card if fully supported in XP as well as older cards from Matrox.

But you will find that Video Editing hardware is much more complicated to write drivers to.
    It was intended to be used with Windown 98 (it's written on the box it came in). And they owe you nothing more then this.

Most companies with video Editing hardware from the time of the G400 RRG also don't provide XP drivers. some of them with much more expencive cards then the RRG.
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>

<a href="http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/Ultimate.cgi" target="_blank">http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/Ultimate.cgi</a>
    Would this be the site? If so: been there, did that, got the t-shirt. Before I posted my questions here. All the questions posted concerning RRG & XP were given the same song and dance & any question of "could I do this instead.." was met with "Maybe, but we don't support that." As for new drivers for G400, been there, did that, got the t-shirt. I build computers and thats usually the 1st thing I look into. Anyway I still haven't got the answer to the question I posed "Is their a third party program that can access this card under XP, like Adobe Premere can Access my DV camera." I can't assume "NO" because that has yet to be confirmed by anyone. As for duel booting I have already done this & even though things seem to work out fine for now, I'd prefer the stability of WinXP over that of Win98. Sorry to seem brash, I just really wanted an alternative other than the one that I offered myself in the first post. Duel boot or Alternative software. I got from people the confirmation (and proved it myself) duel booting is a option, but what about Alternative software?

If Matrox (the makers of the card) can't help you,
    why do you think a bunch of Geeks can

you might find help at the Matrox Users forums.

Windows XP, and Matrox rainbow runner are a total no go, forget it, I had one, I rung Matrox tech support who were not really interested, only saying no drivers are planned, SO I sold it on ebay along with my g400 max,similar cards are best sought from hauppage, I bought the theatre.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.