Unable to change to UDMA 4

Thread: Unable to change to UDMA 4

Unhappy Unable to change to UDMA 4

I have IWill's VD133 motherboard (Via's Apollo pro 133).I installed the IDE bus mastering utility ver 3.01.1.
    Using the NEW IDE tool I can see that my hard disk (western digital) supports up to UDMA 4 but the current mode is UDMA 3.
    I selected UDMA 4 in the "Update to" section and applied the "Commite change" command, and rebooted my computer.
    After the reboot the current mode was STILL UDMA 3 !! why can't I update the transfer mode ??
    Note : changing the mode to UDMA 2 succeeded..why I can only change to a lower transfer rate and not to a higher one ??
    both the motherboard and the Hard Drive Supports this mode.
    Thanks In Advance !!

ViPeR210

Are you using a UDMA66 cable? If not then that would be one reason that it will not work. If you are using one then check bios settings, sometimes your bios will be set at something lower then the fastest speed possible.

Tushar

All Hard disks even though made to be UDMA4 compatible need that this is specifically enabled by the user so that you achieve UDMA performance. This is true with atleast Seagate & Western Digital. There is a link on WD's page pointing to the requirements for the same which is at URL http://www.westerndigital.com/produc.../ata100tp.html
    and also here is the UDMA enabler.
    http://www.wdc.com/service/ftp/dlgtools/dlgudma.zip.

Hope this solves your problem.

Do keep posted.

first of all,yes i am using a ata66 cable.
    second the hard disk is set to ata66 by the western digital utility.
    again the new via IDE tool says that the current mode is "Ultra DMA Mode 3(ATA 66)"
    and i want to go to mode 4 ,which is supported by the disk as the utility shows.
    any other ideas ?

Tushar

Even I have VIA Chipset and in my case the tool shows no HDD as UDMA !!. My computers bootup screen shows the disk as UDMA 66, LBA mode and also from SiSOFT Sandra shows it so. I think you can give a try to SANDRA and confirm what is exact scene. Knowing your case and also mine I can VIA tool seems to have some problem in reporting.

Do keep posted.

iateyourcat

according to the viatech web page your chipset only supports ata/66 and not ata/100

ATA-66
    The ATA-66 interface on the VIA Apollo Pro133 chipset helps boost system performance by providing a high-speed connection to the new generation of ATA-66 Hard Disk Drives, delivering maximum sustained data transfer rates of 66MB/sec.

http://www.via.com.tw/products/prod133.htm

the intel 815E supports ata/100 and some implementations of the KT133 have promise ata/100 controllers built in like the ASUS A7V

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=