writing a windows modem driver

Thread: writing a windows modem driver

Wink writing a windows modem driver

i want to write a windows modem driver, but everywhere i keep running into dead ends.

here's a short discription of what i need to do. a program i use sends AT commands to a modem to dial and make an alpha-numeric page. That's fine except i'd rather have it send an email. I've already written several programs for just this task, but how do i get them to look like modem drivers? Or how can i write something that windows thinks is a modem driver and installs like a modem driver, but really does X function and has nothing to do with a modem at all?

any help would be great. i've downloaded and installed the windows driver sdk, but that didn't get me very far. i don't have the budget to purchase the Programming for the Windows 2000 Driver Model yet.

Question

What are you trying to achieve?

I don't think you need a 'device driver' to do what you said. A device driver is concerned with describing the 'equipment class', so i/o timings, initialisation strings that stuff... Not get some page from somewhere & send it somewhere...

I think you need to send your modem a string of AT commands perhaps in the form of a modem script to achieve what you want?

You are describing a task best done with a program of some sort but not a device driver..?

I have a piece of industrial software that is used to build parts. It has the ability to send an alpha numeric page when the build is done. The only option you get in the build software is what number to dial.

I have already written software for similar software that sends an email when builds complete. I would like to use the base of this code but with this new build software. The only system event that i know will happen for sure is the modem will get used. My idea was to write a "modem driver" that would simply call the other paging app.