pcAnywhere

Thread: pcAnywhere

Post pcAnywhere

Maybe this is not in the right forum, but it is kind of security related so here goes.

With pcAnywhere running as a host waiting for connections on a W2k Pro machine which has a direct internet connection is it possible to restrict the host to wait only on the internal IP address rather than both internal and external?

I would prefer that I am obliged to VPN to the pc first then use pcAnywhere on to the internal address. Avoids broadcasting my open pcAnywhere port on the internet that way.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ewan

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that it is pcA 10.5.

If I remember correctly when i asked symantec's support email a few yrs ago in 9.0 the answer was no, but that this feature might be added in a future version. My workaround was to go into the network options in the tools dropdown and specfiy the IP addresses which pcaw can accept connections from, making my PC the only one in the list. Since we use static IP's it was easy, (DHCP will muddy this significantly.) I feel comfortable with a strong PW, PCAW encryption and the IP restriction to leave it out there open on the web, an in fact it's been nearly 2 years now with no problems.
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

[quote]Originally posted by Ahcoraj:
    <strong> My workaround was to go into the network options in the tools dropdown and specfiy the IP addresses which pcaw can accept connections from, making my PC the only one in the list. Since we use static IP's it was easy, (DHCP will muddy this significantly.) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Even if you use dhcp you could give a few machines static IP's. We do this where we work a lot for people who need access through our firewall and it works out well.

I just looked in 10.5 and you can specify which adapter to run it on. it's in the Tools dropdown, options-host communications-advanced tcp/ip options. it gives you 3 choices, use the default, accept on all, or specify index#. I'm glad to see they kept their word. It may be worth the price of the upgrade for that alone.......
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Thanks a lot everyone.