MS Security on attachments

Thread: MS Security on attachments

Post MS Security on attachments

Got a problem on our NT4 network. Some of the users (me being one of them) who have ie 5.5 up to ie 6 cannot open attachments. I know this is linked to the security lockdown feature but are unsure how to customize the settings. I read that you can use the Secuirty Settigns public folder. The download technet recomends is a bit confusing. Has anybody tried it?

We need to know:
    Is this a good solution for over 400 mailboxes or is there another way?
    Does it matter that it is exchange 5.5 and NT4?
    Do we need to install a versio of office on the exchange server?
    Any known issues?
    Which download is it exactly?

I would be most grateful for any help

Teddy
    As I say to all users - Shutup & Re-boot

www.djrobjones.com - everything House

Describe the symptoms are you seeing that leads you to believe that you can't view attachments. Also, what file extensions are these attachments; and is it all attachments, or just a small list?

The reason I ask, there are some Outlook 2k Hotfixes, and the SP2 that will really lock down the email client; to where .exe, .zip, and several others will not open. Internet shortcuts, (not URL's, but the actual shortcuts), .bat .vbs and several others are not even visible with an updated client. Are these the symptoms you are seeing?

This happened at my company. There was some reg edits that I found to do, but they did not work. I came across an article it might have been from MS but it said that the sender should rename the file extension to something else and once you get it rename it again to the original. That is what we currently do so we do keep current security settings in place and have a way around it when we need to.
    To each his/her own.

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>Describe the symptoms are you seeing that leads you to believe that you can't view attachments. Also, what file extensions are these attachments; and is it all attachments, or just a small list?

The reason I ask, there are some Outlook 2k Hotfixes, and the SP2 that will really lock down the email client; to where .exe, .zip, and several others will not open. Internet shortcuts, (not URL's, but the actual shortcuts), .bat .vbs and several others are not even visible with an updated client. Are these the symptoms you are seeing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

People who have SR1 on Outlook 98 have the same thing happening where I am. I have told them to remove the SR or to zip the files before sending.

Now Teddy - you mention that this is Exchange. The only time I have seen people have problems with attachments or e-mail in exchange is when the files are too large or the mailbox is full. The users love to try to send 30mb power point presentations in e-mail and then wonder why it's not going or have 5000 e-mails sitting in their box and wonder why nothing will send. I'd look into the user end first and see if they have this problem or if they have any software on the machines like a virus scanner set to block things and then look at the server.

Right done some more investigating.

It is all the attachment that microsfot calss as level 1 - ie can run scripts or contain virus'

Eg HTM, EXE and access database's to name but a few.

Now I myself have this problem but only on mail that is external not internal. I am running W2K sp2 with Outlook 98 (+ a security patch) and Office 97 SR2 + IE 6. Another person is having a similar problem running NT4 + SP6 with Office 2000 SR1 (outlook 2000) and IE5.5
    Finally one of my co-workers is running office 2000 sr1 with w2k sp2 and ie5.0

I cant find a real pattern to the setups and it is very confusing.
    We have tried to exchange shared folder / admin fix where the security settings are placed in a public folder but this does not work either.

Hope this info is a bit more detailed for you.
    As I say to all users - Shutup & Re-boot

www.djrobjones.com - everything House

If it's external mail only look at the server. Do you have a virus scanner on it? Do you get an error of any sort? Does the attachment get striped off of the e-mail? Is it only 1 location that you can't send mail to? What mail client are all of you using more than the OS is helpful.