EIDE Vs. IDE

Thread: EIDE Vs. IDE

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Post EIDE Vs. IDE

Whats the the difference between the 2?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

The original IDE supported only two drives. EIDE supports four (or more) drives and ATAPI drives. It has multiword data tranfer capabilities in DMA burst mode and other enhancements. It's still generally referred to as IDE.

So, a Promise tech ATA/100 will do fine for hard drives and cd-roms? I am wondering because I ordered before I researched, bad idea I know but I cant reverse it now.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

An ATA/100 controller should be backwards compatable with older spec devices.

The original IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) or ATA (AT Attachment) specification was introduced by Compaq to standardise the hard drive interface. Enhanced IDE or ATA-2 incorporated enhancements like CHS Translation (often called LBA) to overcome the stupid error that caused the 504M capacity limit.

The instructions with my Promise Fasttrak100 card says it works with Ultra ATA 100, 66, 33, EIDE, and Fast AATA-2 drives supporting multi-word DMA. The ASUS A7V manual is similar, but specifies also PIO Modes 3 & 4 and Bus Master IDE DMA Mode 2. It specifically recommend putting only Ultra DMA 66 and 100 drives on the Promise controller and all other drives on the Secondary Controller (non-ATA 100). This seems to indicate that the Promise controller won't support early IDE ATA 1 or PIO 1 & 2 drives, such as most Zip 100 drives.

K, now I am really confused, I'll just tell ya some more on the story

I have an ATA/66 HDD and a cd/rw, and a DVD-Rom, and a ZIP-100 and I bought a ide controller card that said

this:

2IDE Harddisk connectors support Ultra ATA/100 protocols IDE, Fast-ATA-2 standards cmpatible

should I be able to connect them all to this card?

Sorry bout dragging this out but I know jack about HDD's

Are you using a Promise FastTrack100 or Ultra100? The FastTrack is an IDE RAID controller and does not support devices such as ATAPI CD-ROM's and ZIP drives. The Ultra100 is a PCI ATA100 controller which will support all these devices.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

Originally posted by Compaqman:
    Are you using a Promise FastTrack100 or Ultra100? The FastTrack is an IDE RAID controller and does not support devices such as ATAPI CD-ROM's and ZIP drives. The Ultra100 is a PCI ATA100 controller which will support all these devices.
    Its the ultra 100, thanks for the help

You would still be better to put the Zip on the standard IDE controller. Put the HDD on the Primary ATA 100, the CD & CDRW will probably work fine on either controller. You may want to plan ahead and leave space for future harddrives.

Originally posted by timgottier:
    You would still be better to put the Zip on the standard IDE controller. Put the HDD on the Primary ATA 100, the CD & CDRW will probably work fine on either controller. You may want to plan ahead and leave space for future harddrives.
    I would go further and have only Hardrives on the ATA100 Controller and put your CD-Roms and CDRWs on the onboard IDE Controller.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."