Recovering data from dead hard drive?

Thread: Recovering data from dead hard drive?

Red face Recovering data from dead hard drive?

Ok, I got a hard drive which has crashed and doesn’t seem to be recognized at all. I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to another computer as SLAVE and the computer won’t even boot up. It seems as if the hard drive is not even getting power?
    Does anyone know any software or hardware, which can get into this hard drive to retrieve the data? The data is very important and I just need to get into it and get the data out. I would like not to go to a "data recovery" company because they charge so much. So if any of you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

The hard drive is a FUJITSU MPC3032AT IDE with Windows 98. It’s formatted in FAT or FAT32 (I’m not sure).

Thanks for any help and any suggestions.

Hold it in your hand (very carefully!!!) when the computer is booting to try to tell if the actual HEAD inside is broken or just the circuit board on the outside is what is bad. Then inspect the board VERY CAREFULLY to see if there are any burn marks or signs of damage. If you KNOW the hard drive is bad, you could try to buy another of the same model and swap the circuit boards with the working one (That has worked for me before...)

Other than that, if you find out that the drive is fine, its just the MBR or data itself, there are many tools you can use to access the data...
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

There are two kinds of damage.

Damage on its board and damage on its mechanism.

I agree with the above reply. If the problem is caused by the board, if something is fried, find the same model and swap very carefully the boards. This works 100%!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

If the actual mechanism is damaged, i.e. the drive des not spin, heads don't move etc. there are companies that specialize in recovering data from the damaged drives. They are expensive though, but if you need the data completely worth it. I think OnTrack performs this service.
    end of line.

You can also put the drive in the freezer (sounds crazy but I've seen it work) overnight. Pull it out and it may just spin up long enough for you to pull data. If it seems the drive isn't powering up at all and not clicking then it sounds like bad logic board, you can try swapping it as said above.

If none of the above work and you gotta have the data, this company will do it cheaper than any I've seen. If you look around the site they say the prices most recovery companies charge ($800 on up) is bull and a ripoff. They have flat rate pricing and if the amount of data you need (I doubt you need everything off the drive) is less than 420MB then it's $295.
    http://www.i-t-s.com/datarec/datarec_pricing.htm
    (A)bort (R)etry (G)et a beer?

You can get back all data from crashed hard drive using dead hdd data recovery tool. It had recovered all my data successfully I can suggest you this software, let me know the the version of OS you have installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggler081 View Post
    You can get back all data from crashed hard drive using dead hdd data recovery tool. It had recovered all my data successfully I can suggest you this software, let me know the the version of OS you have installed.
    Now why on earth are you replying to a nearly 12 year old post??
    Are you a real human or just a bot?

Quote Originally Posted by cookin chef View Post
    Now why on earth are you replying to a nearly 12 year old post??
    Are you a real human or just a bot?
    Obviously, this is not the droid we're looking for. Still, is it just my imagination, or has Necroposting (even from real persons) hit a high recently?