Violent games sold to minors... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Violent games sold to minors...

I grew up like most people playing cops and robbers, and other so called violent games by todays standards. I watched G.I. Joe, transformers and other so called violent cartoons. I played video games that are considered violent by todays standards. I've never brought a gun to school, or wanted too. I don't think I'm a violent person. I don't go around hurting people or animals for fun, in fact I can't remember the last time i purposely hurt someone or a animal. I also think it is wrong to blame one group for a kids behavor. All this blame the music the kids listen too, blame the video games, blame the teachers stuff is wrong. Parents have the strongest influance on their kids. Take a look what happened in my area over the weekend. A 7 year old kid got into a acident with his parents car. Where was the parents? Well the dad was drunk (had a 1.04 blood alchohol level, limit in fl is .08) in the seat next to him. The kid was driving at night with no headlights and ran a stop sign and hit a brand new car. The father plainly admited that he let the kid drive the car around when the kid done something good as a reward. Now the kid has a driving record (they gave the kid tickets), and hasn't even gotten his driving license yet.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

I just wanted to comment that when I purchased Fallout Tactics back in January at Target (in southwest Indiana), I had to show my driver's license to the checkout lady. (I'm currently 21.) She entered my ID number in the register and continued ringing up the purchase. The entire time this is happening, my wife is looking at me wondering what type of game I'm buying . That was the first time that I had ever had to present an ID for buying a game.

Somewhat off topic, I like a feature that Blockbuster has. When you sign up for an account, you can get a card for your kid so he/she can rent movies. The feature is that you (the parent) can put a restriction on what movies (and I assume games) the child can rent by ratings. Of course, a lot of ratings I may not agree with, but as a parent I would get to make the final decision.

I also played army, war, etc. as a kid. My brother and I would actually have briefings on our missions and would complete them accordily. No wonder he joined the real Army, and I almost did. While we may have played violently, neither of us commited a violent act against another person unless we were defending ourselves. My parents taught me at a very early age that fighting or violence from anger/envy/whatever towards another person is not acceptable. I find is funny now that I was taught this through a spanking after beating up my brother .
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

[quote]Originally posted by CW_WD_RIOT:
    <strong>I find is funny now that I was taught this through a spanking after beating up my brother .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats another thing. You spank your kid and you go to jail. Now I do understand some people take it a bit far, but just for a simple spanking you can go to jail. I learned a lot of lessons through spankings. The kids know today that if their parrents spank them they can call the cops and have them thrown in jail.

Also speaking of being ID for stuff. I still get ID'd when I buy stuff like fuel injection cleaner for my car. The reason, because people under the age of 18 sniff the stuff. Hmmm.... Does that mean if your over 18 it is ok to sniff it?
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

[quote]Originally posted by Danrak:
    <strong>Hmmm.... Does that mean if your over 18 it is ok to sniff it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

[quote]Originally posted by crazyman:
    <strong>damn!@ I am really sorry to hear that so many of you had rotten childhoods,but I did'nt and alot of people did'nt,I had a great childhood,and I thank my parents for alot of life stuff they taught me.and I still tell my dad that often,that I think he did a good job. and I am not pointing fingers without knowing what I am talking about.your way is not the only way .</strong>

Glad to hear it. Good for you.

<strong>I do not think I am holier than thou,I do feel I can speak of parenting,my kids are good kids,I am sorry to hear that you did'nt get anything good from your parents but work ethic,but some of us got more out of growing up with good parents than you did.not all are like you,damn !and yes,I do believe that the parents share the responsibility for how their children turn out,I disagree with you.</strong>

I see your point to some extent but it's obvious that you must have good children. I happy that you were able to raise yours well, but as there is no discernable formula for the perfect child it leaves many of us out in the cold. So if I have awful children am I to be blamed for things they do despite my best efforts? If I do have to pay for my childs actions later on can I blame it on my father or mother? How about his/her father or mother? Perhaps I could dig up the corpse of Lucy (skeleton of the original hominids found in the rift valley) and blame her for all of the problems that I face in my daily life? Sorry to be a smartass but I trying to prove a point. How far does blame go?

We do the things we do because we choose to do them. The great American past time of late seems to be to find a way to blame someone else for personal decisions. “I didn’t mean to kill that lady in cold blood for drug money, I’m a product of my environment.” Or, “My boy shot himself because he listened to Judas Priest.” Bullsh1t. Bullsh1t. Bullsh1t.

<strong>I am offended by your remarks,just because YOU have issues,does not mean we all do!some of us ARE good parents and I will happily take a large responsibility for my kids and how they grow up.</strong>

No one is trying to offend you. We just have different opinions.

<strong>children are largely a product of their environment,at the same time,I as an adult have learned alot about life by myself and others beides my parents too.I have alot of both my parents in me,and I take the good and the bad of that and put it to good use.</strong>

Hate to tell you but studies I see in the news everyday point more and more towards genetics being the key to almost everything. We have found genes for intelligence, proclivities for addictiveness, and even emotion (anger specifically) as well as several other things. This terrifies me at the same time as thrilling me with the future potential for the human species.

Now I’m not saying that everything is running on instinct. You are right in saying that we are largely products of our environments. But, what environment? From home or society? I would argue that in many (if not most) places that what your peers think is more often more important to a person that what your parents think. Or, at least they are when a decision on whether or not to do a particular thing at the spur of the moment.
    On your later comments I fully agree.

<strong>you sir,are NOT right about everything,like you think you are.you are just another person online,you're a forum moderator,not a god.</strong>

Take a Valium or something.

<strong>and yes I agree,it should be up to the parents as to what their kids do.if the kids are minors then yes.some of us parents pay attention to our kids.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the end we still agree.

Banned

Hehehehe, kinda getting to where it sounds like the bet in Trading Places. Anyone wanna make a bet.

I dont know what to think about that one. If you think about it, Bugs Bunny was deemed "too violent" for kids to view when my parents were young.

Secondly, I dont think its a problem with the games. I think its some mental and family issues with the parents and their kids. I played voilent games all through my childhood(and still do ) and most people around me consider me to be a fine, upstanding person that cares about others enough not to harm them. How do I know?? I just asked em all since there all here right now.
    I dont feel tardy...

Talking

Does anyone remember the video games Hitler used to play?

Tattoo addict

[quote]Originally posted by ilovetheusers:
    <strong>

In the end we still agree.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you make some good points.

I am also glad to see that you read my entire post and took that much time to respond to my thoughts.I mean that.

I also agree with the point that we ARE all different and our differing opinions are a great thing,thats one of the things that makes us who we are.

While I feel that there are resposibilities that parents aren't meeting in today's world, I am also of the opinion that some games and movies are only appropriate for older children. Yes, we all grew up and it was different when we were children. There weren't graphics that were life like when I was playing my colecovision. Movies were not as realistic as they are today. On the otherhand, I don't believe that these new movies and games will drive an individual to do some of the things that you see today. There are many variables that I, as a parent, must contend with that my parents did not. I think that the blame cannot lie on one source alone. I feel that the media glorifies the situation for ratings and some younger individuals see this as a chance to be somewhat famous.(15year old flying a stolen plane into the BoA building in Tampa) What it boils down to is that there must be a consious effort with all parties involved(including the childs) to prevent these things from happening.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

[quote]Originally posted by crazyman:
    <strong>

you make some good points.

I am also glad to see that you read my entire post and took that much time to respond to my thoughts.I mean that.

I also agree with the point that we ARE all different and our differing opinions are a great thing,thats one of the things that makes us who we are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by Smoothstr:
    <strong>Does anyone remember the video games Hitler used to play?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bill Hicks - RIP

Government sux, let the parents decide. Don't get me wrong, I love this country...I just hate the government who runs it...If we'd have done things MY way, Bin Laden would have been dead since November (would have made the perfect birthday present)

Tee hee
    Soltek SL-85ERV, Pentium 4 2.25 GHz @ 3.1 GHz, with the aid of a Swiftech Mx4000 heatsink + 80mm Delta SHE fan, 512 MB Corsair XMS 3200 DDR, dual IBM 120GXP 40GB HDDs in Raid 0, dual WD200 20 GB HDDs in Raid 0, Asus 16X DVD, HP 9340i CDRW, Nakamichi 16X 5 disc minichanger, VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti4600, Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI PCI, Mitsubishi DiamondPro 91, WinXP Pro, RUNS LIKE A DREAM!!!!!

"In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary...come again?"

Bigdog632

games dont kill people people kill people
    the kids just blame it on the games to try and get out of lengthy jail terms

Bigdog632

id think watching barney or teletubbies would do more harm than quake ut or other assorted violent games