Windows XP Pro- disable network on ONE user

Thread: Windows XP Pro- disable network on ONE user

Question Windows XP Pro- disable network on ONE user

My brother in law has 2 teenage sons who have discoverd the wealth of photographic imagery available on the internet.

They have broadband, and are using Windows XP Pro.

stand alone computer, no network, so i cannot hook up to a domain.

Is there any way to disable the network card under one username on a windows XP Pro machine with out a server?

I thought i could use a logon script, but cannot figure out how to do that without login in to a domain server.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Not entirely sure what you are asking to do here...

If you mean can you stop the sons logging on the the internet while there is no supervision, yes - Adept found this very useful FREE program to do that Click here to see the previous thread about this type of problem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks noonoo- that might work, what i was looking for was a way to do this right inside windows xp, as most of the other software out there that allows you to control internet access is also pretty easy to hack and disable....

i will check this out and see if it will work--- i will have to wait till i get home, the XP box i have here beside me does not have interenet access, so i can't fully test it....

thanks---

if anyone DOES know a way to use what comes with windows XP pro to do this, cam you please post it?

Basically, i want to have 2 user accounts at the welcome screen. "INTERNET" and "NO INTERNET". The "INTERNET" one will have a password, so the kids can't get on unless the folks are home.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

hmmm... You could set the No internet to be a guest and restrict their access to the internet. You could prevent them from accessing the run command, my computer, heck you can completely shut down their start menu, and force them to use only icons you set on the desktop. Then all you'll have to do is create a icon for shutting down the computer. Check out gpedit.msc and see what kind of things you can minipulate there. Best of luck to ya.