Windows 2k upgrade hangs

Thread: Windows 2k upgrade hangs

Windows 2k upgrade hangs

Hi, not sure if this should be on this board or AMD but,

I just bought a new MSI K7 Pro MS-6195 motherboard with a athlon 700. I am trying to upgrade from Win 98 SE and after the first time it reboots during the installation and starts back up, it hangs at the black screen with the (paraphrasing) "Setup is detecting new hadware for your system".

I have tried formatting my HD and loading 98 again with no problem, I have updated with AMD's driver pack with the current chipset drivers also and then tried the upgrade, but no luck still.

I am using:

96 megs SDRAM (PC-100)
    300 watt power supply
    LG Electronics 4120B COMBO CDRW 12X8X32 /DVD 8X W/SW
    S3 3D Savage 4 32 MG video card (VGA)
    U.S. Robotics PCI Modem USR5610B

I have successfully did the upgrade on my other computer with my Intel Celeron 850 with the same video card. I also put in the modem in my comp and Win 2000 detects it.

Any suggestions?

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers for your board.

EDIT:Please do not double post Other post

Last edited by Poseidon; July 23rd, 2002 at 02:31 PM.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

ok try this, go into your BIOS and disable ANYTHING that refers to cache, shadow cache or pre cache..
    I found that this will quite often break win2k installs on an AMD Mobo.

After you have FULLY installed win2k and its settled and happy, you can normally safely trun all the caching back on again.

oh and one of the cardinal rules of trouble shooting a PC is when your hitting a wall, Remove ALL except the most critical deivecs from the machine, and when its back up and happy, then slowly add them back in one at a time.
    Last edited by -Senectus-; July 24th, 2002 at 01:12 AM.
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Lightbulb

Along the same lines as discussed by -Senectus-, I found that I had to remove/disable every extraneous hardware device in my system (everything by the display adapter, monitor, hard drive, and CD-ROM drive (e.g., network interface card, modem, printer, scanner, etc.) when I upgraded from WinNT4 to W2K. That got me past the hanging screen. Once W2K was fully installed, I added each device back in, one at a time, restarting between installations. Then everything worked fine.

Interestingly enough, awhile back I resintalled W2K from scratch, FDISKing the hard drive first, and everything installed and worked perfectly. Hence, I tell people not to "upgrade" W2K, but rather do a clean install. It's a lot less troublesome...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...