The Pope is in town

Thread: The Pope is in town

The Pope is in town

As you may have heard, the Pope is in Toronto for World Youth Days which lasts all this week, and ends on Sunday with the huge Papal Mass at the old air force base, less than 10 minutes from my apartment. Most of the roads around the airport will be closed, and most people will have to walk from miles away (or hope to get on a bus or subway) to get there. There is no telling how many people will show up as anybody who wants to can come, they will just have to watch the mass from further away as the registered pilgrims get to be up front.

My wife and I were planning on getting out of town during the weekend, but work is looking like it will keep me here.

Re: The Pope is in town

Originally posted by MacGyver
    ...My wife and I were planning on getting out of town during the weekend, but work is looking like it will keep me here.
    There were tens of buses leaving Montreal yesterday morning bearing Brasilian and Italian flags, among others, from the shopping centre next to my workplace. Very impressive.

Even though I don't see eye-to-eye with catholicism and most of the pope's edicts, I'm rather impressed with the number of people who will travel abroad to see him.
    Last edited by a d e p t; July 24th, 2002 at 11:34 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I wonder if Al Menconi will be there.
    Hello World

Lightbulb

Gee, Mac, as close as you live, you should go out selling t-shirts or something. Try to think of a catchy slogan like "The Pope is my pop" or something like that. You'd be rich...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Banned
    Personally I think someone should give the guy a glass of milk and ice cream. With as much as he is shaking around it would be a kick a$$ milkshake.

Is he letting the priests join in? Talk about your orgy waiting to happen. Remember the stories coming out of the last Woodstock? It will pale in comparison to what will happen here.

Ok, done making stupid jokes. ON WITH THE RELIGION BASHING.

Originally posted by crazyman
    personally I think the pope died several months ago and they just have him propped up with sticks and someone hides behind him and moves him once in a while when he's in public and the play a recording of him.
    whatch when he walks,there is alway a guy holding him up,remember how they kept roosevelts crippling Polio?
    well I think it's kinda like that!only the pope is DEAD!
    Did you by any chance watch "weekend at Bernies" in the past few days?

As much as I am not too crazy about the Catholic church, esp with the BS thats been going on, I have to admit, I can't think of anyone in the world who is as influencial to as many people as the pope is...
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

I gotta also admit this screams "opportunity" to me... to make a statement, or to make money selling a statement for other people to make.

"Lord, save me from your followers..."
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Coming soon to Toronto!!

Weekend at pope's II.

I think he is doing pretty well for how old he is and all his health problems.

Originally posted by Cleetus

Is he letting the priests join in? Talk about your orgy waiting to happen. Remember the stories coming out of the last Woodstock? It will pale in comparison to what will happen here.
    i don't want to offend anyone, but that was pretty damn funny.
    Last edited by Budd; July 25th, 2002 at 06:21 PM.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Karol Wojtyla may be the most important political and spiritual figure in the post war world. John Paul II has been credited as the central figure in the downfall of communism. When Stalin dismissively inquired, “how many divisions does the Vatican command” the answer appears to have been none but there is a Polish philosopher in the seminary at Krakow. I love the idea that the most significant change in the world during my life was not brought about by super powers at war but by a little known, until 1978, Slavic philosopher.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

This evening there was a prayer vigil with the Pope at the main site, Downsview Park. Right now they estimate there are 600,000 people there and most will camp there for the m-a-s-s (stupid censor) tomorrow morning at 9:30am. Over 1 million people are expected.

Unfortunately, they are forcasting severe thunderstorms with violent lightning tonight so I don't know how those camping out will fare. A hydro pole just down the road from my house was struck last night.