How the Tour de France is raced and won... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How the Tour de France is raced and won...

Originally posted by Quiet Thunder
    I love my babymama, I never let her go
    and when she cried in the night
    I tossed her out the window.

this is the poem they say while riding in the tour de france, a country with fat people in it, so by saying france we are really making fun of the underweight challenged.

on a side not I hope that the Danish team scores a hole in one on this quater of the race.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Very good article.

It takes a special kind of determination to be a cyclist, and even more so when you do your best work in the shadow of someone else who gets the limelight.

Puts the commonplace "me first" mentality of the workplace in perspective, doesn't it?
    Last edited by a d e p t; July 26th, 2002 at 01:59 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t
    Very good article.

It takes a special kind of determination to be a cyclist, and even more so when you do your best work in the shadow of someone else who gets the limelight.

Puts the commanplace "me first" mentality of the workplace in perspective, doesn't it?
    I've been to the Alps and god know how these guys ride up them, it's bad enough trying to drive up.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Very good article.

Puts the commanplace "me first" mentality of the workplace in perspective, doesn't it?
    I read an article in I believe Cycling Weekly, a british mag, where the contents hinted that the author would try to shed light on why the French viewed Armstrong with negativity. The article was pretty stupid, offering nothing of what the French think. It actually mentioned that Lance's list of ex-teammates is growing. Suggesting that riders like Jonathan Vaughters, Kevin Livingston, Tyler Hamilton, Bobby Julich, and others left becuase of Lance's dominate role as Team Leader. The fact is, both Vaughters and Julich suck. They'll never win the Tour. Livingston, while a good climber, will never be anything but a super Domestique(Support rider). Livingston knows this, that's why he moved to Team Telekom to work for Jan Ulrich. Only Tyler Hamilton has the potential to challange Armstrong, that's why he moved to a team that had no real clear leader for the Tour.

Take Roberto Heras. He won the Vuelta a'Espania (Tour of Spain) in 2000. If his time trialing improves he could challange Armstrong. However he knows his place. To repeat his win at the Vuelta and to support Armstrong in the Tour. All these people know their place and they do their Job and Armstrong wins. The team then wins with more money, which means more corporate sponsership, which means a bigger paycheck. Also it could mean a bigger contract with another team..
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Originally posted by ElBatcho

and when she cried in the night
    I tossed her out the window.

this is the poem they say while riding in the tour de france, a country with fat people in it, so by saying france we are really making fun of the underweight challenged.

on a side not I hope that the Danish team scores a hole in one on this quater of the race.
    I hope the germans get a touchdown during the next arm of the race.

It's a wise thing to know your place in the scheme of things and not be overly *****ious at times.

These athletes will most probably never achieve any significant greatness by joining another team anyhow.

Every team member is important, but I find the group dynamics in cycling fascinating. Makes me think of the army at times, when a superior officer often gets the praise (and reprimands) for his soldiers' accomplishments, but knows that his role is to serve them by leading them.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It's a wise thing to know your place in the scheme of things and not be overly *****ious at times.

These athletes will most probably never achieve any significant greatness by joining another team anyhow.

Every team member is important, but I find the group dynamics in cycling fascinating. Makes me think of the army at times, when a superior officer often gets the praise (and reprimands) for his soldiers' accomplishments, but knows that his role is to serve them by leading them.

Most do not. In the case of Vaughters and Livingston, they know they'll never be the team leader except in certain circumstances. The point of joining anohter team is tactical reason. Livingston, as a long time freind(he grew up in Austin, Tx) and teammate of Armstrong's, has knowledge that Telekom hoped to exploit. Hamilton has a legitimate shot at becoming a star. From 99 to 2001 he showed he could climb and time trial beating Jan Ulrich in a time trial once. His 2nd in the Giro d'Italia proves it. Levi Liphiemer is another former team mate of Armstrong's who could contend as well, placing 3rd last year in the Vuelta. He moved to another team knowing that with USPostal he wouldn't be the leader unless Armstrong quit racing, which could happen soon. Leipheime, with his 3rd in the Vuelta, commanded way more than Postal could pay, what with Armstrong, Heras, Rubiera, Hincapie, and the new guys Landys and Boonen.

The cyclist know this. It's the journalist or "fans" who don't understand it. They think that riders like Hamilton move because of Armstrong's attitude, even suggesting he is somewhat abusive. Which is rediculous if you've ever seen him interview or with his son Luke.
    Last edited by Lycia; July 26th, 2002 at 02:31 PM.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Banned
    Yes, he bends down to his son, suddenly his eyes glass over, and James Earl Jones' voice is heard "Luke, I am your father ,Join me on the dark side"

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

"You will Join me in the tour De Endor and togeather we shall cycle the universe as father and son"

Luke
    "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sob It's not True :snort:"

Banned

That cycling is the work of the devil I tells ya.

father Jack Hacket says:

"Feck off"