intel HD controller problem

Thread: intel HD controller problem

intel HD controller problem

I will try to describe the problem since it is probably needed as a background. However, I'm posting in this forum for a reason: I decided the best solution is to find the correct specific driver.
    ===================================
    In order to eliminate replies like "you didn't specify comp. specs." I'm going to briefly do that:
    IBM THinkpad 600x 2645/P.3/128 RAM/500Mhz/12Gb (partitioned 3.5Gb Fat32/ 8.5Gb Fat32)/Windows 98SE.
    I have a problem with Intel Hard Disk controllers. I checked with a few programs MCUPID, Intel ident. util., etc. - and this IS the correct chipset/motherboard - I don't have a WRONG driver for my hardware - perhaps an OUTDATED one, though. At first I had 2 Hard Disk controllers named "Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controlling" and another one named "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller" -the intel one was with a ! in the device manager. Then I looked at it - and saw it had conflicting resources.
    I then changed the resources manually to different ones, and as a result the ! disappeared, and windows found the following couple of controllers:
    "Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)" and "Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)". They both had a ! right away. When I looked at what's the reason for it, this is the message:
    "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10.) Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."
    I now decided I should look for specific drivers. After the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility Version 4.00.1013", that I downloaded from the intel site, didn't do the trick; I need the specific drivers for the following - which I couldn't find in the intel site no matter how hard I tried:
    1. Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    2.Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    3.Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Please help out, and don't include replies like "look for the driver on IBM/intel site" - I did - for hours on end. It's just NOT there - only the installation utility mentioned above is in the intel site (doesn't work) and a page for my computer model in the IBM site that doesn't regard controllers AT ALL. I tried google - for hours as well.
    I heard some other suggestions - in order not to get the same ones again - I'll mention the other things I tried:
    *Remove a 'noide' entry in the registry (there wasn't such an entry in my registry at all)
    *fdisk/format/install windows/install drivers/etc.
    all over again - start from scratch. I DID THAT! But - IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL
    *Try the IBM instant system config utility (10Mb of uselessness) - It doesn't do anything useful and only takes up space and memory.
    *Try to remove the win95 drivers for the controllers. (some version 3.02 stuff). I read this article on the intel site as well. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME! I didn't upgrade from 95- I installed win98SE straight away!
    --------------------------
    I need a solution ASAP - but none is in sight, except trying to locate the correct specific drivers.
    Please, I hope there is anyone out there that could help me get them. =\
    Sincerely,
    -Dan

Sounds like you are having quite a bad time of it. To make things worse 98 contains the best driver for the 440lx chipset.

I did find this supplement at ibm for those installing Windows 98 but NOT using the recovery diskette... while there are no specific drivers for the intel chipset, there are some for other devices which may make a difference. Click Here

There is also a bios upgrade that states it fixes "certain operational issues"

OK so to your problem - it is running in compatibility mode?

You can find this out by right clicking my computer, selecting properties and then look at the last tab. If it is showing compatibility mode, this is one of the reasons the hard drive controller cannot load properly.

Another reason is plain running out of irqs... either you have not enabled pnp os in the bios (that is let windows handle the resources) or you have. If you havent, I suggest you try setting it to enabled or yes. If it is enabled I suggest you remove or disable 2 or 3 devices and then remove the devices in safe mode and try again. Do you know what irq's you have free?
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 26th, 2002 at 07:26 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, did a little looking around, first off, could you include the model number? it's on the bottom of the laptop, it should be read as such TYPE ####-LLL this will identify the exact model. IBM will release several different variations on a model, the "type" is the only way to seperate them.

Now having said that, i found the download section (i think) for the necesssairy files. Look here http://www-1.ibm.com/support/manager...78903&r=10&p=0

Go through the list and make sure everything is updated.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Are you running a virus scanner? I've seen boot sector viruses (like NYB) do things like that.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Good point about the virus, some hide and survive fdisk and format... You end up flashing the bios to kill it.

However, I did get to wondering why you had formatted? Was it because of a virus or did you just want a clean drive or upgrade from 95? Or was it all 3
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unhappy Another problem

First of all, to answer some questions:
    -My model is 600x Type 2645-5EG
    -I already updated the BIOS
    -I formatted after I recieved the computer (wasn't originally mine) since there were many many background processes - nothing seemed to work, and there was complete chaos in the computer. I figured that formatting is the only way to sort it out. When I later reinstalled win98SE and fixed all the drivers, I still had the HD problem - so I figured I could try Fdisk'ing to see if that's the possible cause. It wasn't.
    Now seems things are getting even worse.
    I've been at this problem for a few days now - and I recall I transfered some files from my desktop via diskette - but now the diskette drive is having problems.
    In properties - preformance (of my computer) - it says drive A: is running in MS-Dos compatibility mode (Floppy disk drive) - and I can't access drive A at all. When I try the computer freezes. When I put the mouse cursor on it -and click once, The computer is not responding for like 10-20 minutes - then it "comes back to life" as if nothing happened. during that time the computer is absolutly frozen.
    Note this is another problem (caused by the HD controller problem?) that keeps popping up here and there.
    It was mighty annoying when installing windows and when trying to get some of the other drivers fixed (monitor adapter/modem/network card/sockets/sound driver/etc.)
    The computer just "freezes" for an awfully long time.
    Well - I hope I'm not complicating all of you even more here... Your saying is right - never ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I'm just going to do this fast."
    I had a lot of problems with many drivers - and I now got all of the problems figured. I am down to a few - and I'm really counting on you folks to help.
    In the mean time I'll try to update all the possible things from the IBM site link you gave me - perhaps that will help. =\
    Thank you all very much for you help and support,
    Sincerely,
    -Dan.

Lightbulb A:\ Problem insight

I got a new lead on this problem.
    I just went into safe mode, then I went into "My computer > Properties"
    There, in performance, drivers A; C and D are all running in MS-Dos compatability mode.
    I can easily access Drive A. But it is NOT the floppy drive!!
    It is a system drive (how was it created?)
    A drive that is 1.5Mb big - with Autoexec.bat, config.sys, command.com, fdisk, extract, himem.sys, oakcdrom.sys ,etc. - you name it. It simply stopped regarding my floppy drive - please tell me how to fix that. =\
    Thanks a lot,
    Sincerely,
    -Dan

OK so you do have 98 running in compatibility mode... that counts for alot, the question is what it is causing that.

Your next step is to go through this article and then this one

Make sure you are thorough... the things that you say don't make a difference or you don't check 'cos you are sure they are not causing the problem may well be.

Good Luck!

Re: A:\ Problem insight

Originally posted by DanLuria
    I got a new lead on this problem.
    I just went into safe mode, then I went into "My computer > Properties"
    There, in performance, drivers A; C and D are all running in MS-Dos compatability mode.
    I can easily access Drive A. But it is NOT the floppy drive!!
    It is a system drive (how was it created?)
    A drive that is 1.5Mb big - with Autoexec.bat, config.sys, command.com, fdisk, extract, himem.sys, oakcdrom.sys ,etc. - you name it. It simply stopped regarding my floppy drive - please tell me how to fix that. =\
    Thanks a lot,
    Sincerely,
    -Dan
    Those are from the windows startup diskette, they create a virtual drive with the tools needed on it. It ***igns to A if you booted from cd rom.

Floppy first...

NooNoo - I'll be sure to go through those articles you suggested -but I'd really appriciate if you could help me get through the floppy disk problem first...
    At startup it detects the floppy disk drive (since I got the message 'invalid system disk, replace...etc.'.
    In safe mode for some reason A:\ is a system disk like I previously described...
    And in regular mode, A:\ is inaccessable - computer freezes.
    I tried removing the controller and restarting - doesn't help.
    Please help me solve this first - then I'll continue with the HD controller problems....
    Thanks a lot,
    Sincerely,
    Dan.

Re: Floppy first...

Originally posted by DanLuria
    NooNoo - I'll be sure to go through those articles you suggested -but I'd really appriciate if you could help me get through the floppy disk problem first...
    At startup it detects the floppy disk drive (since I got the message 'invalid system disk, replace...etc.'.
    In safe mode for some reason A:\ is a system disk like I previously described...
    And in regular mode, A:\ is inaccessable - computer freezes.
    I tried removing the controller and restarting - doesn't help.
    Please help me solve this first - then I'll continue with the HD controller problems....
    Thanks a lot,
    Sincerely,
    Dan.
    I think the floppy issue is related to running in MS dos compatibility mode.

look at the following URL and make sure all your drivers are update.. if your unsure, download them and isntall them. this should help resolve the issue.

For the floppy, it may have just gone bad, try different diskettes, and you may have to make due without.

Before i forget..

http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/DSHY...user1004106089
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Dan, Matridom is right, the whole thing is tied together... once the pc is in compatibility mode the whole thing becomes a problem... I am beginning to wonder about that link I got you for the updates for peoiple NOT using the recovery disk... You haven't stated whether you are using a recovery disk or not, but you seem to imply not, so have you loaded those drivers?