CDROM naff in combo DVD drive

Thread: CDROM naff in combo DVD drive

CDROM naff in combo DVD drive

Please help me stop my husband sending this computer to PC World by fixing it for him.

When I rebuilt his OS(ME) on a clean formatted drive he told me to leave the DVD drivers off because he has bought a DVD player for his TV. A couple of weeks ago he told me he had installed the DVD drivers himself and then a few days ago his CDROM drive just stopped working but he could play DVDs. I tried all sorts of CDs from Windows discs, through Office, Works, Games, non worked.

I cannot run Norton Utilities or anything else to try and diagnose the problem because, guess what, it needs a CDROM. It won't load data or music CDs and although the BIOS is set to boot from CD it won't boot from WIN98/ME/XP or Norton CDs, all of which are bootable, so reinstalling the OS won't work if I can't load a CD! When a CD is in the drive the light blinks steadily. The computer freezes if you click on my computer to try and see what the drive is showing but remember this is Windows ME we have on here!

I have had a look in Device Manager and Multimedia properties and everything points to device is working properly and I cannot see any IRQ conflicts. System Restore back to before he installed the WINDVD does not work, nor does playing around with settings in CD properties.

I have tried a lens cleaner disc and his Norton AV defs are up to date and I can see no signs of any kind of virus. I unloaded the DVD drivers in case there was a conflict but all that has done is he cannot play DVDd now either cos I cannot load them again without the CD ROM. He's getting mad at me.

I think it might be a loose cable but before I take his computer apart I would like to check because when I was trying the laser cleaner CD the mouse kept freezing and when I tapped the top of the computer the drive light went out.

Thank you.

Grangeek, I feel yer pain!!

However, you said it would not boot from a cd... go into the bios, set the ide channel it is on to auto, watch the boot, does it detect the cdcombo ok?

If not, its a cable problem... if it does and it does not boot from a bootable cd, if you use a 98se boot disk, can the bootdisk detect the cd?

Those two tests have nothing to do with the OS so it discounts ME being the culprit.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo,

All the IDE channels were already on auto and the bootstrap does recognise the drive if it is 2415 multimedia on IRQ 10?

I booted from the W98 floppy and it loaded all the drivers to Drive D and I changed to drive D, inserted a windows CD and typed setup, got the not ready reading message.

Screwdriver job? Fix the cable?

Ummm sounds more like the cd reading went out the window... it detects at bios but doesn't see the cd in the drive is *possibly* bad cable/connection or in the wrong port - make sure its not plugged into the raid port or the ata port... Also turn off udma in bios on the ide channel for the cd...

What is the make/model of this combo drive.... please don't say samsung 308b....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, NooNoo its a Samsung CDROM/DVD Combo. The PC is a Fujitsi Siemens.

It will load ONE DISC only and only once after rebooting and that is my WINME upgrade disc. If you insert another disc it won't read it and if you put the WINME disc back in it won't read that any more. If you look in properties it reads RAW but I thought CD ROMS were FAT32?

It's driving me mad and my husband tried to dump it in the trash. I keep saying I will pay for a new drive for him but he just calls it rubbish then starts leafing through my Bigelows Troubleshooting telling me what page I should read but I cannot find this problem in any of my books.

What's up with Samsung stuff then - same as the naff camera I once had from same firm?

I looked in system information and found this under Problem Devices, which may or may not be related to the problem "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IR.....Error Code 22 - cannot see it listed in Bigelows under Award BIOS.

What shall I tell him? I am getting really annoyed at not being clever enough to fix it and I wanna play with my new 2.2GHZ P4 512MB DDRAM PC but scared he might trash this machione of his if I quit now.

This is the MS trouble shooter for cd/dvd/rw go through this first...

It might help if you can drop into chat...can check things "live".. I will be there for the next hour or so.

Code 22 means that this device was disabled by the user... can you enable it?