[RESOLVED] Disconnect seond drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disconnect seond drive

Stoney

Post Disconnect seond drive

Can someone point me to a site where I can learn how to disconnect my old 3.1 gig drive?
    I know how to unplug it and remove it from the machine...what I need to know/learn is how to still have an operating system that boots to me new drive after the necessary changes are made. The latter is where I need advice.
    Many thanks,

Why do you want to remove the old drive? Are all your IDE chanels used up? If not, instal the new drive as a second harddrive and you keep your windows setup and all your information intact - and have the additional space of the new drive.

email me if you have questions.

Sent you the following by email, but here it is for anyone else that wants to know:

1st) you need a boot disk, go to control panel, add/remove programs, tab at top of page - startup disk. make your boot disk and make sure you have the commands FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM

2nd) take cover off computer, install new drive as master and disconnect ide cable from old drive, boot computer (leave the case cover off for now) and press DEL to enter bios, find autodetect Hard Drive, save settings and boot from boot disk. (note that it is important the the new drive be jumpered as master and connected to the primary ide cable for the next step)

3rd) Once booted to a: prompt, run fdisk and partition the new drive, reboot computer and format c:

4th turn off computer, change jumper setting on new drive to slave, connect primary ide cable to old hard drive (should still be jumpered as master), boot computer and press del to enter bios. Autodetect hard drives again, this time should have both, the new drive and the old drive listed.

5th) remove boot disk, boot machine into windows (will boot from old drive). go to dos prompt (dos box in windows, do not reboot to dos) and type the following command (SYS C: D: ) where c is the old drive and d is the new drive.

6th) stay at the dos prompt and type the following command to copy your entire drive from the old to the new
    (xcopy c:\ d:\/s/e/h/c/k/r) wait for copy, several minutes. shut down windows.

7th) change the jumper on new drive back to master, remove old hard drive from machine, put cover back on.

8th) turn on computer and hit del to enter bios, autodetect hard drive, save changes and reboot computer. All the information from the old drive, including windows, programs etc are now transfered to the new drive and you are ready to compute!!

[This message has been edited by RGK01 (edited February 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RGK01 (edited February 18, 2000).]