[RESOLVED] dual fifo drivers as opposed to single fifo drivers

Thread: [RESOLVED] dual fifo drivers as opposed to single fifo drivers

confewshz

Wink dual fifo drivers as opposed to single fifo drivers

Hello. Its me again. I am running win95 on an AMD K6 233MHz processor. I have Ali Busmaster Controllers and Primary and Secondary IDE Bus master Controllers. I am trying to get my cd-writer to work so i removed the Ali bus drivers controller using the ali driver software. It left me with a Dual PCI IDE controller and single fifo primary and secondary IDE controllers with exclamation points....running in msdos compatibility mode. So i deleted the ENUM key in the registry and the exclamation points disappeared. However, my cd writer does not show up in the control panel nor the device manager anymore. Furthermore when i run in safe mode, the cd writer shows up in the device manager but not the control panel. My HD is primary master, my 24x cdrom is primary slave and the cd writer is secondary master.

When i used my friends win98 cd it loaded a dual pci to ide controller and dual fifo primary and secondary controllers. This seemed to work fine, but win98 seemed to be unstable because i think my system was "tweaked" in the process.

Anyhow, is there a way to "trick" windows95 into loading the dual fifo drivers as opposed to the single fifo drivers. So far ive added 2 lines of code to my "mshdc.inf" file, ive deleted registry keys within the "diskdrive", "esdi" and "hdc" registry keys (but not these actual registry keys) to no avail. Any ideas on how to successfully load these dual fifo drivers???????? confewshz is confewsed

[This message has been edited by confewshz (edited August 15, 1999).]

Get the Windows 95 PCI Bridge patch
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

confewshz

Thumbs up

thanx eagle....do you have any idea where i can find this. I went to microsofts download site and found nothing of the sort...

Darren Wilson

The PCI Bridge Patch is for INTEL Chipsets only , as you have an ALI chipset it won't make any difference. Do you have your CD-Reader working???

You can also get the drivers form here http://www.acerlabs.com/acerlabs/drivers.htm aslo check your motherboard manufacturer for any patches.

If so put in the CD that is supplied with your motherboard and look for anything like Win95 Fix / Patch etc. 99% of ALI based boards have this file on the cd. If your drive isn't working, go round to your friends and drag the file to a floppy then run it on yours.

Also remove any real-mode ( DOS ) drivers from your system and reun Regedit & search for NOIDE. If NOIDE is found, change the value of the key to ' 0 ' rather than ' 1 ' then reboot

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????
    visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited August 15, 1999).]

confewshz

Smile

Thanx Darren. Yes my cd writer worked in win98 with ali bus master controllers and dual fifo ide controllers. But for some reason win98 was unstable and after awhile it would not load unless in safe mode. If i tried to load it in regular mode or even step by step confirmation, it would freeze at a certain point, so i loaded win95 back on.

Ive tried installing the upgraded version of the Ali drivers (3.4 and 3.5) and this does not help as well.

Any other suggestions on how to force win95 to load dual fifos as opposed to single fifos?

confewshz

Talking

Thanx again Darren. It seems that my CD Writer is working now under win95 with the single fifo primary and secondary ide controllers and the dual pci ide controller.
    What i did was change the value for the NOIDE key in the registry from 01 to 00 (as you suggested). Then i uninstalled the ali bus master controllers and was left with the standard dual pci ide controllers and the single fifo primary and secondary ide controllers. None of these showed conflicts in the device manager. Then i ran the bmide.exe patch from microsoft. All of my drives showed in conrol panels as well as the device manager and I successfully burned a CD this morning. Then i had to go to work, so i dont know how this bus master removal will affect my system performance until i get back home and check it. There was one issue though. After i burned the cd the cd writer did not want to eject the cd. I tried to eject it in the control panels, using the cd mastering software and manually. None of these worked. The cd only ejected after i rebooted. So there are still issues to be resolved, but i just havent had the time to attempt to resolve the issue. If anyone can help me with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated

Im thinking this may have something to do with the fact that dual fifos are needed, any input?

[This message has been edited by confewshz (edited August 16, 1999).]

confewshz

Smile

Disregard the previous information about the cdrom that would not eject until i rebooted. That seems to have been an isolated incident in that it has not occured since. Everything seems all well for my CD-writer (FINALLY ). Id like to thank all of you who helped me get this thing up n runnin. Thanx for the ideas. I tried every one of them, trust me....and now its working. Thanx

Creator

Lightbulb

Here are two other solutions for people
    that encounter dual fifo problems.
    First your system me be infected with the
    AntiEXE virus, so just run a virusscan of
    a bootdisk.Second check your AUTOEXEC.BAT
    to see if there is a line with INFORMER.EXE
    within it.This program from the KPN (Dutch Company) seems to give problems in some
    situations..

confewshz

Talking

In the config.sys file, I put a "REM" line in front of DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
    and saved it as a "Rich Text file".

I also installed adaptec ez cd creater and then uninstalled it, to update the aspi layer to version 4.57. Then I installed the version 4.60 update to the aspi layer file.