Deleting index.dat

Thread: Deleting index.dat

Deleting index.dat

My index.dat file is over 1MB and has 73 fragments so it slows down IE. I can't delete it even after closing all programs because it's still in use, I can't delete it in DOS either because my hard drive is NTFS.

How can I delete this file?

Thanks

Here's a bit I found in MSKB Q301057
    <h4>Workaround</h4>
    To work around this problem, move your Temporary Internet Files folder to another location, delete the old folder, and then (if you want to) move your Temporary Internet Files folder back to the original location:
    <OL class="dec"><LI>In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, create a new folder.</LI><LI>In Internet Explorer, click <STRONG>Internet Options</STRONG> on the <STRONG>Tools</STRONG> menu.</LI><LI>On the <STRONG>General</STRONG> tab, click <STRONG>Settings</STRONG> under <STRONG>Temporary Internet Files</STRONG>.</LI><LI>In the <STRONG>Settings</STRONG> dialog box, click <STRONG>Move Folder</STRONG> under <STRONG>Temporary Internet Files Folder</STRONG>.</LI><LI>Click the folder that you created in step 1, and then click <STRONG>OK</STRONG>.</LI><LI>If you are prompted to log off, click <STRONG>Yes</STRONG>, and then log on to Windows again. If you are not prompted to log off, click <STRONG>OK</STRONG> to close all of the dialog boxes.</LI><LI>In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, delete the old Temporary Internet Files folder, and then create a new folder in the same location with the same name.</LI><LI>Repeat steps two through six again, but in step five, click to select the new folder that you created in step seven.</LI></OL><STRONG>NOTE</STRONG>: You must repeat this process when logged on as each user of the computer.
    Last edited by Rellik; July 30th, 2002 at 02:09 AM.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Thanks but all that did was move all the temporary internet files to the new folder and then back to the old one.

Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks

http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html

this link might be of help

You should be able to log on as a different administrative user and then go to your "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\History" folder and delete it.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

try logging into saf mode then you should be able to remove from there.