cd rom problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cd rom problems

Originally posted by Kymera
    If you reboot and boot from a non-infected source, like a floppy disk or CD-ROM you shouldn't have to worry about virii in memory unless you run or access an infected file on a contaminated disk.
    Arrrrrrrgh!!!!!! its contagious!!! Virii is not a word.... viruses

But real reason for posting- what about bios/cmos viruses?? if you have one of these then you'll go around & around...

alot of weird stuff has happened.. Here is what I did. I pu thte cdrom in another computer and it did not work. I switched cdroms out for a known working rom.

I then tried to boot to dos (98 startup disk) so I could fdisk and format.. It would not boot to the floppy. I did not get any errors on it..When it would try to load the floppy it would just stop at the blinking cursor and not get any further.. Funny because in Windows the floppy drive worked. I switched floppies and got the same result.

I then set the bios to boot to the cd and put in a Win98 bootable cd. I got the same result as the floppy. Also, when I pressed F8 to try to boot to a command prompt, it continued as though I did not press F8.

In the end, I booted onto a Win2000 cd and everything loaded up fine. My plan was to format the disk and install win2k and then hopefully I could booti into win98 and reformat and install win98, but it still doeas not let me booto to Win98. I have now installed Win2k onto a formatted Fat drive and the cd and floppy work. Not so bad, because the user wanted me to upgrade him to Win2k anyway (I had convinced him otherwise fior reasons you will soon see..) (and yes, he bought the license).

The problem still is: the computer is only a P - 166 with 32mb RAM. I can boost up the ram a bit, but the computer will; be awfully slow.

Any advice on what to do now, after reading all the problems of this old piece of junk?

3.11 or 95

Sorry, you ere a heroe.
    I would never dare to install even win98 there.

Explain him that he need a new pc.

New new new