Weirdest XP crash and setup I've seen!!!

Thread: Weirdest XP crash and setup I've seen!!!

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar

Unhappy Weirdest XP crash and setup I've seen!!!

I was trying to help a user over the phone with her XP machine. She said the error message said that XP failed to start because the file in the system folder has been deleted or corrupted.

So I asked her to tell me the exact message and it apparently states that a file is missing or corrupted, and gives the path to the system folder but doesn't display the file name.

So I think ok no problem just run a repair. After spending some time getting her to the point of booting off the CD-ROM I finally get her to the screen that says hit R to repair, enter to enter setup, etc...

I tell her to hit R. When I ask her what she now sees she says she sees c:\>
    There is no mention whatsoever of hit another button to begin repair, select partition, nothing.

I managed to get her to the boot menu and tried safe mode but that didn't work either.

I finally said to run setup again and discovered she has a 5 GB partition out of a 20 GB drive. And the other 15 GB isn't even partitioned.

I finally said to take it back to the dealer as its still under warranty.

Anyone have any idea as to anything else that she could try? I'd like to point out that she has no boot disk while I'm at it.

Thanks for any help.
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

My guess is the registry corrupted and/or the boot sector... possibly a virus - take a look here

The other M$ KB article is mysteriously unavailable at the moment, so here is the cached version ..

Cannot Start Windows XP if the System or Software Hive Is Missing or Damaged (Q303012)

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if the System or Software hive for the Windows XP installation is missing or damaged.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.

Use the Recovery Console Tool
    To restore a damaged registry hive, use the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder. The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry hives that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP.

WARNING : Although data should not be affected by the following procedure, you may need to restore changes you previously made to programs or system settings since the first time you successfully started Windows XP.

To replace the damaged registry hive and restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder: Start your computer to the Recovery Console.

Determine if the file that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article is present, and if it is, rename it:

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type ren software software.bak (instead of ren system system.bak ), and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type copy c:\windows\repair\software (instead of copy c:\windows\repair\system ), and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message. For additional information about how to use Recovery Console during startup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q307654 HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

IMPORTANT : If you encounter problems when you run the preceding commands, you may need to use the Change Directory command ( cd ) one folder at a time before you run the preceding commands. For example, type cd system32 , press ENTER, type cd config , and then press ENTER.

Type exit , and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

You Cannot Start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or Use Recovery Console
    If you cannot start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or use Recovery Console and you are using the FAT file system (not the NTFS file system):
    Use a startup disk from one of the following operating systems to start your computer to a command prompt:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Microsoft Windows 98

Microsoft Windows 95

At the command prompt, type c:\windows .

Follow the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, beginning with step 2b (type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER).

IMPORTANT : After you complete the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, remove the startup disk, and then restart the computer.

Use System Restore to Revert to the Most-Recent Restore Point
    You may want to use System Restore to revert to the most-recent restore point if you have replaced the specific registry hive, but the issue has not been resolved.

For additional information about how to use System Restore to revert to the most-recent restore point, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q307545 How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
    Run a Repair Installation of Windows XP

You may need to run a repair installation. For additional information about how to do so, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q312369 You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

MORE INFORMATION
    By default, the administrative password for Windows XP Home Edition is blank.

For additional information about how to use Recovery Console, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q307654 HOW TO: Access the Recovery Console During Startup
    Q240831 How to Copy Files from Recovery Console to Removable Media
    Q229716 Description of the Windows Recovery Console

I also found this interesting nugget...

oem repair/upgrade article
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

humm I never do a repair at the first screen on XP or 2000

boot off the cd, wheny you get to the main windows hit enter not r

hit f8

then hit r

this will repair windows for you without the repair disks

It's also possible to run system restore from a command prompt

Q304449
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    Just to let you all know that the computer has been fixed.

It took a total format and reinstall of the OS. The reason being, the user had no startup, (boot), disks left from her previous OS and couldn't get any.

Also, she had no idea what the administrator password was.

So thanx for all the help.
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar