Intermittent "Access Denied"

Thread: Intermittent "Access Denied"

Intermittent "Access Denied"

Just installed a new server running Small Business Server 2000 with 20 license. There are approximately 20 workstations all running Win98 but usually only 12-15 are on at any given time. Each workstation is running Outlook 2000 to connect to Exchange Server. Each workstation also has two mapped drives (P: and H:) to shares on the server. Randomly, users will get "Access Denied" when trying to access one of these mapped drives even if they are already in that share. For example, I might open a Word document from the P: drive and make some changes. When I try to save it I might get the "Access Denied" message. Like I said, it's intermittent. It only happens a few times a day and it happens to different workstations on different hubs, etc. There doesn't seem to be anything common to the affected workstations other than the server. When the error occurs, I can still do anything I want with the Exchange Server info in Outlook so I know I have connectivity to the server. I can't access any shared drives from Explorer. If I go to a Command Prompt I can map a drive successfully and then the problem goes away. Suddenly, I regain access to the P: and H: drives if I map a drive X: to the server. Also, if I simply reboot the affected workstation the problem goes away.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by gbbones; July 31st, 2002 at 07:09 PM.

have you checked the shared folder to see if its set to allow unlimited users, or is is set to a amount

It was set to "maximum allowed" and I changed it to 50 just to eliminate that possibility.

I've seen it too. Only a reboot fixes it. There was a Technet article that resembled what the problem was, but it was one of those things that happens once and a while and it was eventually forgotten about.... until it happens again.
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

Check your log for license issues.

M$ considers different types of connections as consuming a single licence. A single machine can use 3 or so licenses. Sucks huh?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Yeah, I agree. Check the event log for security faults. I imagine you are running out of licenses with persistent connections and multiple accesses.

I also imagine that Windows 98 is not giving you the full message.

Check your event viewer for faults under security. You may also want to turn on auditing.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Question

I have the same problem here. We have over 400 systems so it happens daily. I am hoping that W2K SP3 might help, I haven't had time to test it enough before I install it on the server. Have you installed SP3 yet? I have been testing Win XP Pro and it does not seem to occur on clients running it. This seems to point to a problem in Win98. btw what kind of logon script are you running? (we are using Kixtart) Does yours drop manually mapped drive or only ones mapped by a script? (Ours only drop the ones mapped by the logon script.)

Still haven't found a solution to the problem. I checked the Security Log and found nothing there. I haven't installed SP3, yet. I'm kinda waiting to see what experiences everyone else has with it. I don't use a logon script. The drives are mapped from Explorer at the workstations. I am keeping everyone somewhat happy with a little batch file on their desktops. When they get disconnected from a mapped drive they run the batch and the problem goes away. The batch just disconnects and reconnects the mapped drives like this:

net use x: /delete
    net use y: /delete
    net use x: \\server\share1
    net use y: \\server\share2

I'll let you know if SP3 makes things better...

Thanks for the posts! Keep 'em coming if you think of anything new.

now if this happens in word, and 2 people have the same file open, the first person can save the other can't....
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

gbbobes,
    Why not rename that login script on their desktop to LOGIN.BAT and put it in the NETLOGON share on the domain
    controller(Generally this is %SystemRoot%\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts, but it is easier to work with the NETLOGON share). Or are you running a peer to peer network? This way your users ALWAYS get the same drive letter mapped to the same share whenever they login using their NT account.
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Can't you verify exactly how many connections are open on the server?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Two things, if your out of licenses you'll get a 202 event id in the Application log and 2) I can almost guarantee that this is your problem.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!