*Another* weird DUN issue in XP Pro

Thread: *Another* weird DUN issue in XP Pro

*Another* weird DUN issue in XP Pro

Okay, I seem to be getting too many DUN issues in XP pro recently, but here's the latest one:

During FTP uploads (not downloads so far as I've noticed), the DUN connection will suddenly stop receiving packets. The time at which this happens varies, but the following should be noted:

• When monitoring n/w activity using Task Manager, the network utilisation for the connection drops off suddenly from Xbps to 0
    • This happens regardless of the DUN connection, and regardless of the ISP being connected to
    • Once this has happened, no other traffic (FTP, PING, tracert or HTTP) will pass through the DUN connection
    • This happens regardless of the FTP client used. The standard console ftp client that ships with windows also fails
    • Windows will eventually shut down the offending DUN connection and attempt to redial, which is fine if your server supports resume... But mine doesn't
    • I can't tell if this is time or filesize specific, but it only seems to occur with files > 1MB in size

Any suggestions peeps?

CD

[Edited for speling]
    Last edited by CodeDragon; August 5th, 2002 at 03:14 PM.
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

update your MoDem drivers ?

maybe?

possibly?

just thought I'd toss that out there?
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

As stupid as it may sound, that hasn't actually occurred to me, because the drivers I'm using are the generic XP ones. But I'll try anyway. D'Oh!
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by CodeDragon
    As stupid as it may sound, that hasn't actually occurred to me, because the drivers I'm using are the generic XP ones. But I'll try anyway. D'Oh!
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I take it you have one of those HCF/HSF internal PCI modem cards which XP detects as 'Generic' HCF/HSF Modem....? You don't say if this is a clean xp install or upgrade...?

If its an 'upgrade' windoze bodges the 9x driver somehow and produces a working driver, if new windoze uses a standard driver with limited capability either way its not an overly good solution, so I'd suggest a modem with specific xp drivers written for it.

The other thing is .... is your Tel co cutting the connection at the server end yet keeping the line open, if your modem worked 100% it would know and tell you , BUT if the modem isn't working completely correctly then it may not know that the server has dropped the line, but because it has still got carrier sense it just waits... & waits.... & waits until DUN thinks 'what? where's my server gone?' and eventually says connection dropped.

If this was 9x the other suggestion would be add/remove DUN & re-install the connection, you can't add remove DUN in xp though??

Originally posted by confus-ed

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I take it you have one of those HCF/HSF internal PCI modem cards which XP detects as 'Generic' HCF/HSF Modem....? You don't say if this is a clean xp install or upgrade...?
    Well, its just a bog standard Intel modem, and the upgrade is from 2KPro to XP Pro, but otherwise you're correct.

CD