Win2k SP3 Problem??

Thread: Win2k SP3 Problem??

Question Win2k SP3 Problem??

We recently received five new machines from Dell. Two of them we have set up and installed SP3 on. These are the only two machines in the plant that have SP3 installed. Now there is the (possible) problem. Neither of these machines will completely shut down any more. It comes to the "It is now safe to shut your machine off." message and there it sits. Both machines have ATX boards and out of the box w/out SP2 or SP3 machines shut down completely. Has anyone else out there had the same or similar problem after installing SP3?? If so give me a shout!
    Sooouuuushi!

Try this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PowerdownAfterShutdown

should be 1
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

key value = 1

One thing I noticed, however, is that the monitor shuts down for about a second, power led goes off, then comes back on with the shutdown message.

Of course there is always the sure fix.....
    Sooouuuushi!

I have been running it for several days now with no issues. I have a couple others here that have agreed to help me out by doing so. So far, so good!

Machines running it so far: Dell Inspiron 5000 and 7500.

IBM Netvista 6274-16u
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

What models of Dells? I want to make sure that I will have no problem updateing any of my Dells here.

I am more concerned with my Dell Servers. If anyone has had luck with updgradeing a Poweredge please post it. I want to make sure the upgrade to sp3 will run smoothly.
    Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

They are Optiples GX260's. Don't fear buying these however. They are good systems; the problem was installing the OS and software off of an somewhat older ghost image from Corporate.
    Sooouuuushi!

SP3 may have reset the NT APM/Legacy Interface Node in the hidden devices section of Device Manager. Try enabling this option and the machine should shut down fine after that.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King.

Problem Solved

I was able to figure out the fix yesterday morning. Thanks for all the help. The problem was not caused by SP3. It was a configuration conflict between the new machines and the machine on which the image was taken. Once again, thanks for all the help!
    Sooouuuushi!

screw sp3, its just a load of crap.

Banned
    glad u sorted it Akuma ,, sp3 is in itself correct for the majority of "boxes" but seems to be getting screwed up , when it encounters something "silly" like an old rpomise card ,,,,

FtF

SP 3, is running fine on my work pc
    Life is highway, we all begin and end the same way. But everyones journey it unique

I installed it almost a week ago, and so far have not had any problems. I have a Gateway PII 450 at home. Two co-workers have also installed it. They did not mention any problems, so I assume it is working well.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones