Super speed analog modems?

Thread: Super speed analog modems?

Question Super speed analog modems?

Has anyone out here ever heard of surfing at 230K on a standard phone line? There is a company out there called "Jet the Net" that says they can provide it. Here's the link to their website:
    http://jet-the-net.com

They say it is because of the hardware used??? I know that Transend had 67K out for a while (we have a few) and that supposedly Transend released a 112K modem just before they were bought out. This makes it look somewhat plausible. Although if it's that great of an idea... Why isn't 3Com doing it?

I'll admit, I am no Modem God, but i would appreciate any feedback you guru's have to offer.

Thank you!!
    Tina Tysinger
    MCSE, MCDBA, CNA

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Somethin shady about that page...
    WWBRD?

I think the FCC limits the speed to much lower then that...
    You could probably use some compression, but you won't get that fast...

From the intro section on that website :

"The terms Megahertz (Mhz) or "K" does not really represent speed, only when performance matches in some relative manner does those numbers mean anything."

Reminiscent of bovine fecal matter?
    This space left intentionally blank.
    Kinda like my mind...

My first question is: If the claims were legitimate why isn't everyone rushing to buy them?

My other questions would be: Why hasn't it been reported on the news? If it really worked, wouldn't it be the latest technology and wouldn't everyone want to have one? Then why is it only being sold by one company on one obscure website?

There was an old saying in the Consumer Affairs Customer Fraud Division:

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

PS. IF you do decide to buy one and it DOES work, let me know.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I was reading the site... aparently, they are pretty much selling you a regular modem and a software package that just tweaks the windows registry settings. I think the 230K is what they are making the modem connect at. Just because its connecting at 230K doesnt mean its transfering at 230K.

nick

lol this is hilarious.

1. Their website is junk, you'd think that if they knew how to develop a product that supposedly goes beyond the reaches of telecommunication, they would be able to make a website that looks somewhat decent.

2. I seem to remember hearing something about the FCC regulating connection speeds on an analog line to 52k. Are these people above the FCC? Maybe Bill Clinton is the CEO lol

3. At least on my visit, I could read all about their cute little anecdotes and how stupid we used to be in our early computing advances, but why is every single "Technical" link either broken or under construction? Sorry guys, to win me over I need some hard proof (see #4)

4. A "screenshot" doesn't prove it to me. I'm sure if I spent about 30 seconds in photoshop, I could have proof that I have a modem that connects at 1G/PS.

5. Why would anyone bother with this, even if it were real? The only people interested in a fast connection want just that, FAST. For only about $20 a month more I can get cable, but yet it's something like six times faster.

/me files this one next to the bonzai kitty, and the USPS email tax

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    In the commands box of your modem properties type "at&fx" without the quotes and it will SAY that you are connected at over 100 every time
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    The whole thing is a buncha bull.. as you most would have figured. I had a friend look in to it, and he said that you download at about 3.8k a second. He said it wasnt any different from his regular dialup. He sent it back and told them about the problem and they never answered back. After he had already paid them a month's subscription. Sounds just like a scandal, or something
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade