[RESOLVED] 8.4gb not 1.99gb

Thread: [RESOLVED] 8.4gb not 1.99gb

matt33

Unhappy 8.4gb not 1.99gb

I have an 8.4gb hard dive but win98 only lets me have access to 1.99gb. How do I access the rest ?

You have your drive partitioned and formated in FAT16 which is limited to 2GB (1.99) partitions. You probably will have to use FDISK to remove the FAT16 partition and repartition and format the drive to utilize it as one partition of 8.4GB. However if you do this you will lose all information on it and will have to reinstall windows.

Alternatively, convert the 2GB partition to FAT32 using the drive converter in windows and add a FAT32 partition utilizing the rest of the drive.

Hope this answers your question.

Another cause could be a BIOS limitation. Does your BIOS properly recognize the hard drive as 8.4GB? If the BIOS only sees your drive as 2GB, then you will need to install drive overlay software. Either way, whether the problem is with the file system or a BIOS limitation, you will have to re-partition and re-format the hard drive, like RGK01 suggested.

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Instructional Computing Tech
    North Idaho College
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

computerguy5001777

Talking

You need to make sure that you have a FAT 32 partition and not FAT 16. If you have a FAT 16 you can use a FAT 16 to FAT 32 converter that Windows 98 has under system tools, if its not there then you have to go to add/remove programs and add it.

If that doesn't work then your BIOS my not support a drive bigger than 2GB, but don't worry if your drive came with a disk manager it may have something on it that will allow it to work at its max. size even if your BIOS only says 2GB. If you don't have a disk manager you may be able to download one off the manufacturs web site.

Sceat(UK)

Another thing that comes to mind is for you to check that 'LBA' Logical Block Addressing is used & enabled in your Bios Setup. Try autodetecting your hard drive and make sure LBA is set to 'on' - other than that all other ideas above are totally correct - Good Luck

matt33

Smile

Thankyou for all of your help.

Im sure my problem is that my hard drive is FAT16 so what I want to do is convert it to FAT32 with the drive converter provided by win98 but I have a lot of things on my 1.99gb that I cant backup so can you describe the process for converting the drive to FAT32 without deleting the stored files on the 1.99gb ?

Arrow

The FAT32 Converter in Windows will not kill your data, just run it and answer the prompts. You will still need to fdisk your drive and create another partition from the unused space on your HD. The converter will not do this for you and when you are done you will have two logical drives. Also, Partition Magic 4/5 or a similar utility can do all these operations for you.
    The grace of God, thru the shed blood of His son Jesus, has brought me this far; and by His continued blessing, my business meets my needs and I continue to grow. Amen

Yes, Partition Magic is an excellent product that will not only convert your 2GB c: drive from FAT16 to FAT32, it will also allow you to resize the c: partition to the full capacity of the drive. And all 'on-the-fly' - that is, without losing any data.

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Instructional Computing Tech
    North Idaho College
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"