Change default share hard drive to stay

Thread: Change default share hard drive to stay

Change default share hard drive to stay

Please, please! Does anyone know how to change the default Share (C drive) to stay unshared permanently or until you want to share at a later date?

When I click on the network icon, I can see my computer, if I double click on my computer name I am able to access to see and access any file that is on my computer.

I need to change this. I have OS WinXP (professional) on my computer.

Thanks.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    right click on your drive and go to sharing. There should be a hidden share on it (C$)
    You can't remove this, but it also shouldn't appear when browsing the network. Anyway, only those who are set up as users with admin access on your system can access it.

Pull down the list next to 'share name' and see if there's any more shares there that you can remove
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Also. Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Shared Folders>Shares. This will list all the shares on you're computer. You can remove all the shares that DO NOT have a $ at the end of the name.

Originally posted by Quiet Thunder
    Also. Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Shared Folders>Shares. This will list all the shares on you're computer. You can remove all the shares that DO NOT have a $ at the end of the name.
    Well, not completely true. You can't remove the default hidden shares, which happen to have a $, this is correct. However, if a hidden share were created manually, or by an application, (some antivirus apps will) those shares also have a $ at the end of the share name. Those can be removed.

Doesn't TweakUI give you the option to remove the admin shares?